2014 Summer Library Program
Fizz Boom Read!
Fizz Boom Read!
Fun for Everyone
Every year we have in-library contests, like "Find the Muppets Beaker & Bunsen!," Reader of the Week, Riddle of the Week, Mystery of the Week and the annual guessing jar. Stop in to see if you can win a prize!
- Getting Excited About Science: Fun Science Experiments with Steve Belliveau! , Monday, June 16, 2:00 PM Get ready to laugh and be amazed at fun and outrageous science experiments like frozen balloons and a human gyroscope! This show is great for all ages. No registration required.
- Build Your Own Robot, Wednesday, June 18 2:00PM Build your own robot using tons of supplies like oatmeal containers, aluminum foil, googly eyes, and duct tape. Plus there will be yummy robot-themed treats. This program is great for all ages. No registration required.
- LEGO Party , Wednesday, July 2, 2:00PM Calling all LEGO builders! Build robots, skyscrapers or whatever you feel inspired to create. All ages are welcome. No registration is required.
- Slime Time! Wednesday, July 16, 2:00PM Are you ready to get messy? Well, come on over and make your own super gross SLIME! Register at the library or by calling 767-4905. This program is great for all ages. Limited to 40 kids.
- Havens Petting Farm , Saturday, August 9, 2:00-4:00 PM Come to Veterans Park and meet the animals! There will be 5 pens of different farm animals such as goats, rabbits, and ducks. Plus there will be hand-led Pony rides. Great for all ages! Sponsored by the Friends of the Black Earth Library.
Fun for Babies and Preschoolers
- Babytime! - Tuesdays before toddler and preschooler storytimes - June 10-July 29 - 9:30-10am Bring baby for the 9:30am finger plays and songs, while your toddlers play supervised in the library (before we open at 10am) and then join us at 10am for their own story time. No registration required.
- Preschool Story Times - Tuesdays, June 10-July 29, 10-10:30AM(toddlers) 10:30-11AM (4 and 5 yr/o) See the preschool story time schedule for themes. Storytimes include a craft or activity based on the day's theme. Themes are subject to change without notice. This is a drop-in program. No registration is required.
- Art Experiments for Little Hands - Mondays, June 9, 16, 23, 30 - 10:00-10:45am Each day features a different and fun art activity like painting with ice, edible fingerpaint or marshmallow stamping. Create, experiment, and have fun. Don't forget to come dressed for a mess! Best for ages 2-4 (but siblings are always welcome).
- Movie Nights! - Wednesdays, June 25, July 9, July 23- 7pm Join us for The Iron Giant (Rated PG) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Rated PG) and The LEGO Movie (Rated PG). Movies begin at 7pm. Feel free to bring your own snacks. We will provide chips and drinks. No registration required.
Fun for School-Age Kids
- All About Insects! Bugs at the Library with Insect Ambassadors from the UW-Madison , Thursday, June 12, 2:00-2:45pm Join students from the UW-Madison as they present fun information about insects. You will also get to touch real, live insects such as cockroaches, walking sticks, and tobacco hornworms. This program is best for school-aged children, but all ages are welcome. Space is limited, so please register at the library or by calling 767-4905.
- Libraries Rock! Geology at the Library with Kevin Hutchison from SpaceUnited -- Thursday, June 19, 2:00-4:00pmGet to see and touch all sorts of interesting rocks and fossils at this interactive and fun presentation featuring Geology -- the study of the Earth. Plus everyone can take home their own small stone! Great for all ages.
- Lunch Bunch - Mondays in July (July 7, 14, 21, 28)12:00-1:00pm Bring a sack lunch and eat while you listen to a couple of chapters from the Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue!: an Origami Yoda Book. We'll provide a yummy dessert and make fun crafts like puffy paint and shrinky dinks. Lunch Bunch meets four times. This program is great for kids entering 1st through 5th grades. Register for the series or individual days by calling the library by July 3. Limit 15.
- Mad Scientists Club -- Thursdays, July 10, 17, 24, 31 -- 11:00-12:00pm Be prepared to get messy with activities like Exploding Lava Bottles, a Mentos & Coke bottle Geyser and experiments with M&M's and other candy. This program is great for students entering 4th through 8th grade. Register for the series or individual days by calling the library by July 7. Limit 15.
Fun for Middle Schoolers and Teens
- Battle of the Books - Black Earth Library vs. Mazo Library- Friday, August 1, 2PM at Black Earth PL Fifth through eighth grade readers can form teams of 2-4 members to represent Black Earth or Mazo libraries in the Sixth Annual Summer Battle of the Books. Register individually or as teams by July 1st to get your list of the eight books.
- Wii Fridays! - (June 13, June 20, June 27, July 11, July 18, July 25) - 1:00 PM Join us for Wii games like Wipeout and Mario Kart at the library all summer! No registration necessary.
- Hands-On Science Projects with Biocore Ambassadors from the UW-Madison - Human Body (June 26), Physics Fun (July 30) - 2PM Join students from the UW-Madison for exciting science activities featuring the human body and physics. These programs are best for those in elementary or middle school. Space is limited, so please register at the library or by calling 767-4905.
- "Tinkering with Technology" Tuesdays - Tuesdays, June 24 - August 5 from 2:00-4:00pm Here is your chance to fix things, take things apart, play with various materials and technologies, in a safe, creative place, using your imagination to guide you. On our first meeting, we will decide what people are most interested in: electronics/computers, small motors, robots, construction, 3D printing, chemistry/physics...you name it! We will complete some fun experiments or small projects to get started and then plan our future meetings' activities. This program is designed for middle and high school students only.
Last updated May 20, 2014