Note: Photos shown are reduced. Click on the photos to see a larger version.
The first T.B. Scott Free Public Library was located on the second floor of the building to the right of the building bearing the sign "First National Bank." The stairway inside the open door led to the library rooms. The library occupied these facilities from 1890 until 1892.
The T.B. Scott Library occupied a variety of different spaces in the Grand Rapids City Hall from the time it opened in 1892 until the library moved to the Witter home on Third Street in 1948. The City Hall was located in the triangle of land between First Street North and Baker Street.
This is the interior of the T.B. Scott Library around 1920 when it occupied the second floor of the Grand Rapids City Hall.
The Witter home on Third Street served as the T.B. Scott Library from 1948 until the opening of the present McMillan Memorial Library in 1970. This building now serves as the home of the South Wood County Historical Corporation.
The storefront on the left served as the West Side Branch of the T.B. Scott Library from 1924 until the opening of the McMillan Library. This building was located on the site now occupied by Consolidated Paper's River Block office building.
The ground breaking for the present McMillan Memorial Library took place on June 20, 1968. Participants (from L to R) include Mayor Penza, Ira Boyce, Margaret L. McCourt, Emily Baldwin Bell, Edith Dudgeon, Mary McMillan Burt and George Mead II.
The beautiful McMillan Memorial Library was opened to the public in 1970.
During the 1980's, a group of civic-minded citizens organized a campaign to build the Memorial Clock and Bell Tower pictured above. Both the clock and the bell were from the tower of the 1892 City Hall Building.
Continue with Appendix or return to Local History On-Line or to Centennial Story Main Page