Pictures in the Album, Part 3
"IMMANUAL LUTHERAN CHURCH"
At the top of this page is shown the Immanuel Lutheran Church. The first services of this congregation were held in houses of their members, and at John Planke's for a time, and then it appears they used the old court house at First Street north, which we show on page 33. So from 1877 to 1880 there was no regular location. In February of 1881 the organization was incorporated and in 1883 they built their first church, a small frame one on Eighth Street North, opposite the Howe School The previous year, 1882, they built their parsonage.
The Seventh Day Adventists had built a church on the corner of Tenth Street and Oak and this they sold to the Immanuel Lutheran Church for a school in 1921. Shown on page 54 at the top. This the Lutheran Congregation greatly enlarged. In 1920 they built the fine brick structure which is the subject of the picture shown at the top of this page.
"FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH"
The picture shown at the bottom of this page is the last church that the First Congregational corporation built. It was built in 1911 and is located at the corner of Birch and Second Streets south, facing the river.
In 1856 Jesse Edwards organized the First Congregational society. The church was dedicated in 1862 and the Congregational congregation conducted their services there until Feb. 2nd, 1890 when joint services of the Congregational and Methodist societies were begun in the "Union" church on the west side. In May, 1890 the "Unity Church of the City of Centralia" was organized and articles were filed April 11, 1890, with incorporators as N. Gerard, T. J. Cooper, E. B. Rossier and G. J. Jackson, half Methodist and half Congregationalists. Picture shown n the insert on this page.
The Congregational parsonage was on the east side, where it was originally built besides the church, and not until 1902 did the Society buy a new parsonage located about 11th Avenue North and Grand Avenue. In 1905 and 06 they bought the "Saul Preston" home at 360 First Avenue south where it is to-day. They sold the one on Grand Avenue.
In 1911 the Masonic Order bought the west side "Union" church for a home for the order.
In 1911 the Congregation built the present stone edifice, shown in the picture. In 1902, the Christian Science organization bought the old Congregational Church and in 1915 rebuilt it as it is to-day.
When Doctor Locke had been here some time he decided that the society should be incorporated, and in 1914, the First Congregational Church of the City of Grand Rapids was incorporated by Robert J. Locke, Geo. M. Hill, F. J. Natwick, Eva Hill, J. W. Natwick, and Mrs. J. W. Natwick, the purpose was educational and religious work.
"S. S. PETER & PAUL CONGREGATION"
Page 42 - 43
The top picture is of the present Catholic Church and for a piece of architecture it is a work of art.
The first mass was said on the west side in 1837 by Rev. Van den Brook, a priest from Green Bay, who came here during the summer of that year. In 1854 the first Catholic church was built on the west side at the old Corriveau home location and to locate it as of to-day would put it on the northwest corner of the intersection of Jackson Street with Third Avenue north. This church building burned in 1856 and no attempt was made to rebuild it but in 1857 the first Catholic church was begun on the east side, on the present location of the Catholic property.
Rev. James Stehle was the first resident Catholic priest and came here in 1857. This building was discarded as a church and moved to about 320 First St. N. The present church was begun in 1867 and struggled along until it was finally all paid for and dedicated June 29, 1873.
It was in the year 1907 that Rev. Father Wm. Reding was appointed to the S. S. Peter & Paul parish. It was also the Golden Jubilee year of the Church. The first school was built in 1895 and remodeled in 1913. The school is shown on page 43. In 1923 the school was completed and in 1924 a fire destroyed a large part of it on Dec. 24. In 1925 the school was rebuilt and enlarged and completed during the year.
In 1927, May 28th, the state convention of the Catholic Daughters of America, was held here with representatives from 35 cities.
In 1930 the home of the Sisters of Notre Dame was built. This is shown on the top of page 43.
The picture at the bottom of page 42 was taken at the summer cottage of the author on Long Island in the summer of 1934. In the swing is the Monsignor Wm. Reding is one of the best known and most highly respected men, regardless of his calling, in the city. While a Catholic priest, he is a friend to all regardless of their particular church affiliations and a genuine friend.
February 8th, 1932, the public investure of Rt. Rev. Monsignor William Reding took place with all the ceremony and inspiration of the Catholic Church. Bishop, the Most Rev. A. J. McGavick, added his congratulations to the address of the priest who delivered the sermon, Rev. Fr. Howard Brown of Kendall, Wisconsin. Monsignor has had three assistants of late years. Standing to the left is Father Cysewske, who came to this parish as Father Reding's assistant in 1924 and remained with him five and one half years and was sent first to Clarfield and is now at Mosinee, Wisconsin. He was followed by Father Joseph Kundinger, who came in 1929 and was sent to the Washington University in the fall of 1934, for a years course, and who will probably be returned here. Father Vincent Schwartz came during the year 1934 and is the present assistant.
"ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH"
The beginning of this church organization was on the west side and is shown by the small insert at the top of the page, showing the church and parish house. I am under obligation to Mrs. Mildred Mackinnon Jenkins for the permission to copy the original photograph made by her father F. Mackinnon.
This church was built in 1877 and dedicated in 1879 and was located on Third Avenue north and McKinley Street in Block 22. The parish house and guild hall was built in 1898 and greatly enlarged and redecorated in 1912. On Dec. 22, 1928, the church building burned.
In the membership of this church were two people who wished to show their devotion to it. Mr. and Mrs. Isaac P. Witter gave very substantial appreciation of their love for their church by buying and donating to the St. John Church the lots known as the John Farrish residence location. This was all but about two lots of the whole block facing on Grand Avenue between Second and Third Streets.
Mrs. Witter's father was an Episcopal minister of a great many years of faithful service to his church. Mr. Witter joined the church about the time Mrs. Witter and he were married and both have worked with unremitting zeal in its behalf. They offered the Congregation a large sum of money to be used toward building a new church and parish house on the "Farrish" lots, providing a certain added sum be raised. The members and non-members entered with enthusiasm into this program and resulted in meeting their benefactors requirements, to the end that the new and beautiful church was erected and dedicated in January 1930, and the rectory accepted. They are shown on the bottom on page 44.
The consecration of the Church took place October 19, 1931. Rev. Father James M. Johnson came to this parish October 1st, 1925 and the activities and wonderful growth of the congregation must be accorded to his tireless work. His public spirited enthusiasm in things not necessarily of his own church, have won for him a place of appreciation in the hearts of those who have such matters to sustain.
The processional in the middle picture was taken at one of the Young Peoples gathering of the diocese.
"CHRISTIAN SCIENCE CHURCH"
The picture at the bottom of the page is the present Church of the Christian Science organization, that was formed in 1904.
In 1902 they bought the original Congregational Church building, located on the lots adjoining the Library and County parked grounds on Second Street North, facing the river at 800 First Street North. This is a beautiful location for a view of the river and in high water certainly has much beauty. The building was entirely remodeled in 1915 and made a very attractive piece of architecture. This organization shows a quiet and constant growth.
"FIRST MORAVIAN CHURCH"
The top picture shows the church as it is to-day. Rev. Christian Madsen came to Centralia in 1888 to organize the congregation into a home mission. The congregation consisted of German and Scandinavian people, and sermons were delivered in both languages.
On January 20, 1889, Rev. Madsen organized the First Moravian Church with 19 charter members. In October, 1889 the first frame church was built at about 140 Third Avenue North and in 1890 a parsonage was built on the lot adjoining the church.
In 1894 the congregation was incorporated under the title of the "First Moravian Church of Grand Rapids". This church belongs to the Northern Province of Moravian Churches of North America, with headquarters at Bethlehem, Pa. The two congregations became large enough so that the First Moravian Congregation bought the property at 330 First Avenue So. in 1894 and the two congregations separated with the Scandinavian membership forming the Trinity Moravian Church and retained the property at Third Avenue North. Rev. Christian Madsen was followed by Rev. A. Petterson and during his pastorate the present fine brick church was built in 1899. Rev. Roy Grams is the present pastor of the Trinity Moravian Church.
Rev. C. A. Malice became the pastor of the First Moravian Church on Jan. 30, 1903 and in 1905 the church was officially dedicated. The present membership is 325.
Rev. I. Richard Mewaldt is the present pastor and came here Nov. 26, 1926. Rev. C. A. Meilicke was called to the headquarters at Bethlehem, Pa.
"EVANGELICAN LUTHERAN ZION CONGREGATION"
This congregation was organized by Martin Hanse, Chas. Lundgre and others in 1908. They bought the residence and lots at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Roosevelt streets. Services were held in this dwelling until 1920 when it was voted to build the new brick church that is shown at the top of this page. This church was dedicated in September, 1920. The credit for this fine achievement is to be given in a large measure to Rev. Fred G. Olson. A parsonage was built in 1921 at 130 Fourth Avenue North.
The organization since that time has had a very fine growth in membership. The present pastor is Rev. Albert Hemming.
"ST. JOHN'S EVANGELICAL CHURCH"
The picture at the top of the page is of the St. John Evangelical Church at 131 Fourth St. north. This church was built in 1920.
Sunday April 25, 1915, twenty persons met in the G. A. R. hall for the first service of this organization. Rev. G. E. Pauloweit, was the Missionary minister sent to organize a church. May 9, 1915, three families formed the first organization and Robert Sanger, Frank Sommerfield and George Ottenberg organized the St. John's Evangelical Church and adopted the regular church constitution.
Services continued in the G.A.R hall until 1920 when the new church was begun. April 20th it was completed and September 25th, 1921 it was dedicated. Feb. 1, 1923 Rev. G. E. Pauloweit resigned and went to Marinette. Oct. 10, 1917 the membership was incorporated in regular manner. Rev. Frank Lowenbergh is the present pastor. Wm. F. Gleue is president and Paul Totzke is secretary of the corporation. In 1934 the Evangelical and The Reformed Churches were united under the Synod of North America.
"METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH"
The Methodist Church as a congregation is the oldest in the way of being the first Church to have a pastor preach in Centralia. It was in 1842 that a Methodist missionary preached the first sermon in the community. Rev. J. S. Hurlbut. Rev. Hurlbut was also the first teacher and opened the first school.
There was no regular pastor for this territory until the Wisconsin Conference directed Rev. L. D. Tracey to come to Grand Rapids. In 1857, Rev. L. D. Tracey organized the first class and the charter members were Jane Sampson, T. E. Whitman, Samuel Purdy, Mrs. Sherman, Hiram Davis, Mrs. Hiram Davis, and Mrs. Campbell.
The early services of the church were held in private homes and school houses. Another change is pastors took place and Rev. Charles Smith was appointed to this field. He incorporated the congregation. In 1863, the first Methodist church was erected and dedicated in 1868. In 1891, the present Methodist church was built and is shown on the small insert card on the side of the present church. The first church was sold for the G.A.R. hall and later went to the American Legion. The church tower of the last church was like that shown in the card but during the present year, 1934, the windstorms damaged this to such an extent that it was decided to cut it down and the picture as shown at the bottom of the page is the present church. The Seventy-fifth Anniversary was celebrated December 2nd to 4th, 1934. The present pastor is Rev. T. J. Reykdal.
"FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH"
This church is located at the corner of Second and Maple Streets facing the river. A very fine location, which gives a good setting to the church.
In the Chapel Car, "Good Tidings", the organization of this congregation was perfected by Rev. C. H. Rust, June 15, 1903. After the car left, services were held in rented rooms. In 1905 the mission was in charge of Rev. A. L. Putnam and the present fine church was built. Membership grew and the activities extended to a well attended Sunday School, and a Baptist Young Peoples Union, a branch of the World-Wide Guild.
Membership to-day has grown from 145 in 1923 to 186 in 1934. The present pastor came in August 1934 and is Rev. D. C. Anderson.
"ST. LAWRENCE CHURCH AND SCHOOL"
In 1904 the Bishop, Rt. Rev. Jacob Schwebach, of La Crosse decided that the Polish speaking members of the Catholic Congregation here, could establish a church of their own and thus relieve the Catholic priest of the church on the east side of some of the members, as the polish people had formerly worshipped at the east side church.
Rev. James Kroczyk was the first pastor of the St. Lawrence parish and through his efforts and the very unselfish support of the congregation they built the combined school and church at 530 Tenth Avenue North. This congregation grew very rapidly and in 1908 they built the fine parish house shown at the bottom of page 49. In 1914 the church and school burned and the work was begun to rebuild the building to be used as church and school. In 1931, August 16, the corner stone of the beautiful new church was laid. June 12, 1932, the St. Lawrence Catholic Congregation dedicated their new church. The Most Rev. Bishop Alexander J. McCavick was assisted by the present local pastor, Rev. Father S. P. Mieczkowski.
"THE SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST SOCIETY"
The picture at the top of the page is the neat little church of the Seventh Day Adventists, located at Twelfth St. and east Grand Avenue. The Seventh Day Adventist Society incorporated April 22, 1889. Stephen Reed, John Gebauer and Henry A. Smith, were among the incorporators. First services were held at the home of Mrs. Sarah Harp, a resident of Wisconsin Rapids, who died in 1919. The services were held in her home until the church at the corner of 10th and Oak St. was built in 1907. This was sold to the East Side Lutheran church. They converted it into a school for their children. Since April 1922 services were held in the home of Henry Horock, until the church at Twelfth Street was built in 1933.
"ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CHURCH AND SCHOOL"
The church was founded in the spring of 1899 by the Rev. G. Baum, with about 18 families. The Church was built in 1899 and dedicated January 7th, 1900. The present parsonage was built in 1901. In 1910 they built the fine brick school on the property with their church. The church is shown on page 50 at the top, and the school on the top of page 51.
June 23-28, 1927 the convention of the Missouri Lutheran Synod, participated in by both the East and West Side Lutheran Churches, was held here. Delegates from all the Lutheran Churches in the district attended. 3000 people were in attendance at the open air services on Sunday.
October 27-28, 1934, the Rally of Circuit No. 5 of the North Wisconsin District Missouri Synod of Lutheran Church was held. Lutheran Churches of both the East and West side participated. There was an attendance of over 1600 people from all over the state.
"TRINITY MORAVIAN CHURCH"
This church was formed after the Rev. Madsen organized the First Moravian Church, and they bought their present home. This church organized the Scandinavian membership and took over the church that had been built in 1889. The Trinity Moravian was formerly the Scandinavian Moravian. The organization had grown steadily and the pastor of this church has charge of the Church at Rudolph as well. The present pastor is Rev. Roy Gramms.
"WOOD COUNTY NORMAL SCHOOL"
This school is shown at the bottom of page 51. It was built in 1907, the same year that the Witter Manual Training school was built just north of it on Lincoln Street. In 1914 the Wood County School of Agriculture and School of Domestic Science was organized and co-ordinated with the Wood County Normal.
"HOME FOR THE AGED"
The picture at the bottom of the page shows the Home for Aged located about two miles north of Port Edwards on highway 13. The county built this "Home" and opened it October 21, 1928, with James Case as superintendent and Mrs. Case as matron. It is handled by three Trustees for the county, they are, L. P. Daniels, chairman and C. A. Jasperson and H. C. Hambright, associated members.
The picture at the top of the page was taken across the road from the "Home", looking up river and presents a picture with much beauty in it. Two of the men may be seen fishing, with their boat tied to a near by tree.
"FIRST WARD SCHOOL"
This building was built in 1897 and is in the first ward on the block at 12th St. North and Apricot Street. Henry Rablin was chairman of the building and grounds committee, and gave it his time in building. It is known as the Irving School.
The first school house was built about the middle of the block between Baker and Wyle Streets on the east side of the street. It was built in 1850 and would be located at 630 Eighth Street North, as of to-day. The second school was built in 1861 on the lots that the District bought from Joseph Wood on Block 22, the same as to-day. The second school was a small frame affair that was later moved to the fairgrounds in 1882, where it burned. Dr. G. F. Witter was the first superintendent of this second school. The Howe School was finally completed in 1873 and I. N. Stewart was the first principal.
The smaller view shows the architects drawing of the school and it was a correct picture. The tower of the school became so rotted that the school board decided to remove it and during the summer of 1934 it was taken off and the picture at the bottom of the page shows the Howe School shorn of its "crown" and does not present a very beautiful appearance. Some day the tower should be replaced. On the building of the first Lincoln School, the Howe School became a grade school.
"EAST SIDE LUTHERAN SCHOOL"
This school has been previously discussed. It is located on the corner of Tenth and Oak Streets. The picture is on the top of the page.
"CENTRALIA HIGH SCHOOL"
The smaller picture in the middle of the page is the original Centralia High School and I am unable to establish the date when it was built, but it was very close to 1868 to 1870. The History of 1881 in commenting on Centralia says, "Has a very fine brick school, with graded school and good teachers."
A land contract is of record from Wm. B. Naylor, to the School District No. 1 of Centralia, way back in 1859 and recorded in 1860, but it evidently an error for it locates the land in the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Sec. 18, which if it was intended for the location of the Lowell School grounds would have to be in the NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Sec. 18.
Here was a deed given by Wm. B. Naylor to the School District, April 12, 1872 carrying a reversal back to the owner if used for other than school purposes and this was some time afterwards and is more likely the right deed. This then would place the school about 1873. The picture of the Old Lowell was taken by F. Mackinnon in 1897.
The picture at the bottom of the page is the well known new Lowell school. It was completed by the School Board in 1924 and the cost according to the board's report of Jan. 9, 1926 was $121,660.92 The old Lowell school was sold in 1924 and torn down.
The picture at the top of the page is of the Emerson School built in about 1885 by the School District of the City of Centralia. Mr. T. J. Cooper was prominent in the affairs at that time. The Emerson School is located at 331 4th Ave. North.
This was the first school built after the Lincoln in 1902-03 and carried a kindergarten department with the lower grades. It was greatly needed because of the fast growing west side. It was built about 1915. This school is shown at the bottom of this page.
"CONSOLIDATED OFFICE-THE ISLAND"
The picture at the top of the page hardly needs introduction, for it is well known as the office of the Consolidated Water Power & Paper Company. The original office of the Consolidated was a long ways from looking like an office, but the plans for carrying out this fine company were closely followed in the old office. It was located in a small frame building that has since been worked over though part of it is still as it was in 1903. It is the year office and located on the north side of the finishing room on Third Avenue north. The office as shown, has been added on, by several additions, and houses a large force that probably needs more room even now. It is built of native sand stone and supposed to be built high enough to escape any flood.
The bottom picture is "way back when" the land where the above office is built was a real island agreeing perfectly with the study book's description of an island as "being a piece of land entirely surrounded by water". This island was a favorite haunt of the cows that ran free in the cities way back previous to at least 1900.
The big red cow, for such she is though showing black, seemed to pose while I took her picture, was Johnnie Dixon's cow. This old cow earned her reputation for opening gates and leading her followers into the gardens of the neighbors, with the ultimate "scandalous" remarks to Johnnie about his crumpled horned cow. I commented about this cow in a previous picture. That time she was guiding the herd down on the grass in what is now Lyon's Park.
The picture on the middle of the page is the Interlake Mill at Appleton. It was bought by the Consolidated in the fall of 1916. It is interesting to know that this mill was owned by Fighting Bob Evans, Secretary of State Whitney and many other prominent democrats of President Cleveland's administration. It was also currently reported at that time that President Cleveland was stockholder in this mill. If so, it was not in evidence on the stockholders list. The Consolidated has greatly improved and enlarged this mill.
The picture shown at the top of the page was one of the early buildings on the west side. It occupied a favorable location as it was the resort for all who either wanted to cross over on the ferry or used it as an excuse to watch the ferry arrive from the other side. It was an old time saloon with a favorable reputation. It is the only building in the block that was left when the River Block was built. In the rear of the Lefebvre building was a dwelling that housed many people at various times. It was a sort of annex for a time to the saloon in front.
"THE MOORE SHOP"
The small picture in the middle of the page shows the small dwelling referred to as being in the rear of the Lefebvre Saloon. Moor's shop was a great place for political battles to be fought and won in the early days. It was a wagon, ship and blacksmith shop and as such places were very necessary they naturally became the center for political factions to settle or leave in such shape as could be easily revived on the next visit.
This shop was moved west and is used as a garage to-day at 231 Jackson St. Frank Moore's shop is where W. H. Getts painted and stripped wagons and Mr. Skeels acted as judge advocate in disputes.
The City Hall shown in the picture at the bottom of the page was built in 1917. The old city hall was built in 1884. C. W. Lemley, one of the council members was employed to plan and build it. It occupied about the same position as the present city hall, but later was moved back and became the fire station and band room. On the consolidation of the city the council took up the city hall on the east side.
"BAKER & SON MORTUARY"
Geo. Baker & Son bought the "Arpin" residence on August 17, 1927, and established this most beautiful "Mortuary Home". This was a very well and expensively built residence by D. J. Arpin. Baker & Son represents the fourth generation of the family in the undertaking business. Established by the grandfather Warren in the very early days of the town and originally located at 114 Second Street North were the "Model Drug" store is to-day.
"KROHN & BERARD INC. MORTUARY HOME"
The picture is at the bottom of the page. It was originally started by Krohn & Ernser, April 27, 1928 and later incorporated by Krohn & Berard. It is most excellently appointed and is located at 240 First Avenue South.
"WOOD COUNTY SHERIFF HOUSE & JAIL"
The picture at the top of the page shows the Sheriff House and the Jail that is located at 431 Baker Street and almost on he site of the old Rablin House barn of former days. The county built this in 1895.
This is located at 241 Fourth Ave. S. and was purchased from the Congregational Church society in 1911. It is shown at the bottom of the page.
This "Union church" as it was better known was the result of a desire to have a meeting house for the Methodists and Congregationalists on the west side. The church membership of the Congregational church on the east side had so fallen off from deaths and removals from town, that it needed the help of those on the west side. The west side could show a good sized membership so the building of the Union Church was made possible.
After a time the Methodists withdrew, and went back to the parent church on the east side and the Congregational Church continued until they built their beautiful home on the east side, that has already been reviewed.
The Masonic Hall houses the Masonic orders of the Blue Lodge and Chapter and Order of the Eastern Star and the De Molay.
"FLOATS" JULY 4TH, 1930
Pages 60 - 67 Inclusive
These floats represented so much artistic ability and expense and work that they seem to deserve a place in history. They may be a guide or an inspiration for future demonstrations. Like styles, they may suggest from past days something for the future.
"MEMORIAL DAY 1931"
These Memorial Day parade pictures cover most of the features of that special parade. Many of the young people in the Girl and Boy Scout sections may look back and recognize themselves in the years to come.
"ARMISTICE DAY 1931"
Color Guard and Colors. Reading from left to right in the front row are: W. C. Pribbanow, L. Nordstrom, E. J. Schmidt, Earl Hein
"BATTERY AND TRACTORS"
The top picture shows Commander Severns and the Battery.
The top picture shows the ferry at the right of the picture before the Nekoosa Bridge was built.
"FIRST MILITARY FUNERAL"
The middle picture shows the funeral of George Babcock, son of Mr. and Mrs. Grant Babcock, west side, who died of the "flu" at Great Lakes Camp in 1918. The funeral was held here on October 2, 1918. He left here as a member of the Home Guards and on reaching camp as they became members of the State Guard and suits were first issued then.
"LOOKING FROM THE SWIMMING POOL TOWARDS TOWN"
This picture was taken during the summer of 1934 during a good stage of water.
"OBERBECK BROS. - AHDAWAGAM PAPER PRODUCTS"
The picture at the bottom of the page is one of the first taken of the original mill forming part of the Oberbeck Bros. Manufacturing Co. It was taken about 1895. The plant was built during the years 1891-92. A desire on the part of J. D. Witter and Daly & Sampson to bring more industries to town and give a better outlet to lumber that Daly & Sampson sawed and marketed, induced them to go to Chicago and complete negotiations with Ernest and Fred and Louis Oberbeck, who were making a low priced product of bedroom furniture and had a trade that showed every chance of great growth.
Much of the machinery was moved here and several families who were then working for the Oberbeck's in Chicago moved here. It grew into a large institution and passed from the cheap line into "period" stuff and produced some lines that were beautiful and went on to the floors on Mandel Bros. and Marshall Field & Co., and other concerns in Cleveland and other large cities.
An evil feature of the business was that the bedroom furniture, and all kinds of household furniture makers, were called upon to show their patterns and samples in July and January at the Grand Rapids Michigan and Chicago markets. Furniture marts. designers were employed at salaries that rivaled the designers of fashionable ladies dresses. One designer served two or three factories and drew something like three thousand a year from each. It became a hazardous game and a change in financial times found many of them down and out. Sheboygan plants suffered along with this and many others in the state.
The Oberbecks lost their holding and J. D. Witter and Daly & Sampson and other stock holders carried the company along and finally began the making of cartons and built up paper stock for boxes. Oberbeck Bros. Mfg. Co. changed hands and was taken over by the Ahdawagam Furniture Co. This succeeding company is the Ahdawagam Paper Products Company of to-day with Frank Walsh as manager. The name was changed June 27, 1918. The picture on the top of the page is the present Ahdawagam Paper Products Company.
The pictures on the middle of the page are reading from left to right; J. D. Witter, John Daly, H. A. Sampson. These three men were closely associated in many business ventures.
"PRENTISS-WABERS PRODUCTS CO."
The joined picture is the present plant of the stove company, originally started as the Prentiss-Wabers Stove Company in 1915. Its original product was the small camp stove and was well received. Competition with other camp stove companies and lack of funds to go on, led to a reorganization and obtaining new capital. Ralph Wiltrout took the management in 1923 with Michael Woolf as his sales manager. The factory was originally located in the old Wipperman factory that recently burned and from there moved to get more room into the Kaudy factory at 210 Spring Street. The plant as it now is and shown on the top of this page is a model for a plant of that kind. Their products and line have grown to be more prominent in building gasoline ranges and other heating units. Camp stoves have become a lesser line.
"GRAND RAPIDS LUMBER CO. - STANGE-ELLIS LUMBER CO."
John Farrish and Daly & Sampson, both lumberman with years of experience, had timber holdings in Wood and Marathon and other counties near by which they believed they could manufacture, rather than log and sell the timber. They bought the saw mill of the Necedah Lumber Co. at Necedah and moved it to the land on the west side of the C. M. St. P. Ry. The small print shows the original saw mill, of which there is nothing left but the boiler house. They began operations in 1889 and continued until about 1906. In 1907, July 7th, the Stange-Ellis Lumber Co. was incorporated by E. W. Ellis, F. J. Wood and Guy O. Babcock. In 1909 they bought out the Grand Rapids Lumber Co. and added a box manufacture and box shooks stock. The joined prints show the box factory and warehouse. Dec. 31, 1924, this plant was close and they moved all to Eagle River and again entered the lumber and box business. The property finally was sold to the Standard Oil Company for a bulk station as it is to-day.
The insert picture to the left is of John Farrish.
"AMERICAN CARBONIC MACHINERY COMPANY"
The American Carbonic Machinery Company, together with the Grand Rapids Foundry Company built the plant shown at the top of this page.
January 2nd, 1896, the Grand Rapids Foundry Co. was incorporated by Benj. W. King, Julius King and Edmund Roenius, to do a general foundry and machine shop business. They owned several patients and one was the Roenius Coal Shoot, and did a successful business with the paper mills. In 1907 the American Carbonic Machinery Co., was incorporate by the same interests as then owned the Grand Rapids Foundry, and E. Roenius was heavily interested in both companies. In 1905-06 the new shop was built on the west side and this building shown in the picture at the top of the page was the result.
The refrigeration plants manufactured by the Carbonic Company were very successful. Many contracts were obtained for some of the Government's battle ships. The Hotel Morrison, Chicago, and other well known concerns were among those contacted. The plant is working but few men to-day, but has the possibilities of a wonderful institution if financially backed and practically managed.
E. Roenius died April 29, 1926 at the age of 74.
"WISCONSIN RAPIDS CLOTHING MFG. CO."
The picture at the bottom of this page is of the city owned plant built for the "S & S" Clothing Co. The "S & S" Company was housed in the old Wipperman Factory when the building burned the past summer. That let the Clothing Company without a factory. The city built this plant on the west side between 11th and 12th Avenues South. The "S & S" Clothing company was formerly the Latin Company, makers of "Parkway" Clothes for men.
"DAIRY STATE COLD STORAGE CO."
The picture of the plant at the top of the page is of the cheese storage and curing plant. The buildings were originally built by the Reiland Packing Co. It operated successfully for several years under that title. The primary mover in the packing company was Nicholas Reiland, who has been a well known butcher and operated a meat market here. In 1924 the Reiland plant was taken over by E. Coon Company, and after a change in name and owners, became the Dairy State Cold Storage Co. with R. T. Gillespie as manager. The plant is located 2221 Gaynor Avenue.
"SAMPSON CANNING COMPANY"
April 12th, 1904 The Grand Rapids Brewing Company was incorporated by Jacob Lutz, Frank Boyanowski and George Werkein Jr. To do a general brewery business. With the passing of prohibition the brewery had to close and went into the hands of a receiver. At the sheriff sale Henry Sampson Sr. bought the plant and he and his son Henry Jr. operated a canning plant under the name of Grand Rapids Canning Co, that later became the Sampson Canning Co. The plant is located at 1251 1st St. N.
"FEY PUBLISHING CO."
The picture at the top of the page shows the plant of Fey Publishing Co. which contains highly specific machinery for high class printing and illustrating.
This building was originally built by the Cooperage Company to provide barrels for the shipment of cranberries and about the last use of wooden barrels, for the shipment of flour. Packages of bushel and less in size became the demand and that gave the business to the box factories instead of to the coopers. The business ceased as a shop of that kind and had various uses, until 1926 when W. F. Huffman bought the building and took the job work from the newspaper office, and it became a plant for wholesale printing under title of W. F. Huffman Printing Co. This later was taken over by the Fey Publishing Co. and all connections with the news paper office were severed.
"F. MACKINNON MANUFACTURING CO."
This company manufactured hubs and spokes and was one of the very early manufacturers on the Centralia side. F. Mackinnon and C. L. Griffiths started this mill in 1879 and it continued to manufacture the old solid birch hubs for a great many years. Mr. Mackinnon invented a sectional hub which had a steel center from which wooden spooks radiated. It was a very good improvement and saving of the birch, which was beginning to be scarce. They also manufactured the Mackinnon Wagon, that was probably one of the best heavy farm wagons on the market and had a very wide and well deserved reputation as being an "A1" product. This line they started in 1892.
Mr. Griffiths sold out his interest and the company was organized with many of the workmen as stockholders and was altogether a closed organization. John Schnabel started in with the company and continued with it during its entire existence of 46 years. One feature that was for years a very strong reminder that the Mackinnon factory was running was the fact that they blew their whistle at 5:30 a.m. for a straight twenty years until the protest became so strong that they asked to be permitted to complete the twenty year period and then they would quit. This whistle had a voice on its own and was nothing short of a "hair-raiser". The company ceased business in 1926.
The insert is a picture of F. Mackinnon. He died October 30, 1928 at the age of 79 years and 9 months.
"MCKERCHER MILLING CO."
This company was incorporated in 1925 by D. McKercher, Louis McKercher and I. M. Zimmerman, to transact a general milling business in flour and feed. This plant is located at 110 Eighth Avenue North. This location has an interesting history.
Whorton Bros. Operated a planing mill on that location about 1881. They bought the land about Vesper Dec. 9, 1979 and came into possession of the saw mill of Gerard & Drake in what was then called Seneca but after the towns were divided this was called Vesper. The Planing mill did the usual mill work and shipped out of this point. The property was on railroad grounds consequently leased. It passed into other hands and for many years F. L. Tibbits operated this planing mill. Later it came to the Centralia Lumber Co. and the Kellogg Bros. Lumber Company. MacKercher & Rossier, D. McKercher and E. C. Rossier, began the milling business at this plant, having taken the old planing mill and virtually rebuilt it to suit the business. E. C. Rossier withdrew from the firm and the present company incorporated. D. McKercher is president and manager.
At the bottom of this page is shown the picture of the frame factory and warehouse that was best known as the "Wipperman Factory".
Chas. Wipperman came here from Chilton, Wis. He interested several local people in the idea of making furniture of the cheaper grade, particularly tables, and on August 3rd, 1895 he incorporated the Grand Rapids Table Company, with incorporators as A. K. Hatteberg, Charles Wipperman, F. J. Wood, D. J. Arpin, and Herman Wipperman. Herman Wipperman was the brother and a lawyer who entered practice here and politics.
The concern was fairly successful but Chas. Wipperman was a cabinet maker of personal ability but was not an executive and spent his energies in personally doing work rather than directing others. Business conditions changed and this concern was taken over by the Kaudy Manufacturing Co., makers of bar and office furniture and fixtures. This company was incorporated May 8th, 1906 with G. J. Kaudy, E. P Arpin and F. J. Wood. Local stockholders helped this concern. This was also successful until prohibition days came. This company manufactured saloon fixtures for the big breweries who in turn sold them on time to saloon keepers so that while saloons were in, this was a good business.
These buildings were idle for some time and then the Prentiss-Wabers Stove Company made its start in this building. They moved from there to the Kaudy Plant which has been built some time before, but was then vacant. The latest occupancy was the Latin Company, makers of "Parkway" clothes for men. They sold to the "S & S" Clothing Company, and it was while occupied as a clothing factory that it burned in the spring of 1934.
The two pictures of the top of pages 78-79 are those of the big Ringling Circus crossing over the bridge in the morning as they unloaded from the tracks on the west side and drove to the grounds north of Green Bay Ry. to the circus grounds on the river bank. Circus and Street car and vehicles of all kinds help to produce the contrast. This was on August 3rd, 1929. The picture shows the Street Car as it was crossing the bridge.
"AIR PORT DEDICATION - NEPCO MONOPLANE"
The picture at the bottom of page 78 shows the Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Company's Ford Monoplane, as it appeared the day of the opening, Oct. 20 and 21st. The company used this plane to a very good advantage, in a unique way by their Sales organization, in bringing to the mills some of their important paper jobbers and buyers.
The picture at the bottom of page 79 was taken the day of the dedication and opening of the Air port south of town. July 26, 1928, the "TRI-CITY AIRWAYS INC." was incorporated by John E. Alexander, Isaac P. Witter and G. D. Fritzsinger, to maintain airport site and buy and sell airships of all kinds.
August the Tri-City Airways Inc. built the first airport landing field consisting of 320 acres, west of the Two mile school house. Oct. 12, Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. bought a huge trimotor Ford Monoplane. Oct. 20 and 21, 1928 were the days of Dedication of the Tri-City airport, at which time there were 46 foreign airplanes in attendance. Three local planes were at the meet.
"SCENIC ROAD AT PORT EDWARDS AND NEKOOSA"
This is a beautiful drive that connects Port Edwards with Nekoosa by a short way as compared to the old road up and around on the ridge. This road in the spring and summer is truly beautiful with early flowers. First the skunk cabbage shows late in April or early in May. It is a beautiful flower. It is shaped like a closed Jack-in-the pulpit, only larger. Grows very close to the roots and comes out when the leaves, which grow to nearly two feet in length, have no more than started. Inside this cup is purplish and the spadix is cream colored covered with flower heads. Nature's plan with this flower is to send to it a decidedly rank odor like decayed meat and gives it the deep purple color of decayed meat because it knows that it is too early to attract the bees and butterflies, so naturally must attract the gnats and flies that feed on carrion that profusely covers the earth after the snow melts.
In this way the gnats and flies travel from one flower to another of the skunk cabbage and rub off the pollen onto their rough bodies and carry this pollen to the next flower inside the warm covering of the spathe of the flower, and thus pollenize the whole plant life of the skunk cabbage.
Spring beauties literally cover this whole visible field each side of the drive. Very early also will be found dutchman's breeches, dog-tooth violets, trilliums and bluetts and phlox. These are but some of the flowering beauties BUT you can't see them when you drive seventy miles an hour.
This fine road was an accomplishment in road building, by the Wisconsin State Highway Commission. It was a real swamp. The road was built in 1922. There was a public gathering of the surrounding cities with the dedication acceptance by F. X. Grode on behalf of Nekoosa.
"BULL'S EYE COUNTRY CLUB"
Mr. George W. Mead owned about 100 acres of land facing the Wisconsin River and about three miles south of the east side of Wisconsin Rapids. He offered to lease this land to an organized Country Club and this suggestion resulted in the organizing of the club under this title during the early summer of 1922.
The grounds were put into shape and formal opening of the golf course of nine holes was held August 26, 1922. The field has been acquired by the club from Mr. Mead and another nine holes has been added. The picture at the bottom of the page was taken overlooking the Tenth Tee and toward town. The top of the Consolidated Mill shows in the sky line. Henry Fay and Jack Kelley are those recognized in the group at this spring.
"CENTRALIA WATER WORKS"
The drinking water conditions in Centralia, always a serious proposition, naturally became more serious with the greatly increased population. June 29, 1894 THE CENTRALIA WATER WORKS COMPANY was incorporated by F. Mackinnon, J. L. Nash and Geo. M. Hill. Mr. Hill's recollection of this was that it was a form to help the movement and possibly was organized to assist in promoting the work. The city built the pumping station shown at the top of the page.
Previous to this time the city of Centralia had no fire department other than a few men with a chemical extinguisher. There were no wells, no cisterns or any hand fire engine. They relied entirely on the fire department of Grand Rapids and the records of the Grand Rapids department show where there was an annual arrangement whereby the city of Centralia at times paid a regular annual sum and at other times only paid a stated amount for each fire the Grand Rapids department attended.
The above pumping station was located at the foot of Cleveland Street and installed in 1894 with a large Fairbank-Morse pump. They tapped the River and drew the water into a well, where the water was filtered through sand beds. This pump is in service in this building but now owned by the Consolidated, and feeds the pipe lines in their wood yard.
"SIXTEENTH STREET FILTER STATION"
At the bottom of this page is shown the pumping station at Sixteenth Street. This was built in 1925 and contract price as quoted by the council proceedings states the sum as $39,044.19. Additions have been made to the capacity. This pumps direct into the water system and connects with the stand pipe at the Lincoln School grounds. This stand pipe was built in 1902 and erected in April. Height is given as 176 feet and cost at that time $10,000.
"LYON'S PARK IN THE NINETIES"
This picture at the top of the page was taken between 1890 and 1896 and shows what is now Lyon's park when nature ruled supreme. The two persons in the boat are Geo. L. Williams in the rear seat and his son Glen, in the rowing seat. It was a beautiful Sunday morning and Mr. Williams was out for a ride and saw the operator, and at his request stopped a minute to be in the picture.
Johnnie Dixon's cow is here without any doubt and she is the big one in the immediate foreground. She and the operator struck up quite an acquaintance for she posed for him on several occasions.
"LYON'S PARK TO-DAY"
The hand colored enlargement was made for the author of this Album in return for loans of negatives to a calendar company. It is a view of the park taken from the lower end looking up river. While this picture was taken about 1930, it is a fair representation of the park to-day. It does show a vast improvement since the days when cows held sway.
"UP RIVER VIEW FROM NELS JOHNSON' S HOME"
This view was taken in 1895 from the second floor of Nels Johnson's residence at 850 First Ave. South. It is a good bird's eye view of the city showing mostly the Grand Rapids side of that period. An attempt was made to take a picture from the same position this summer but the trees on the island in the foreground practically shut off the view.
"ALONG THE RIVER WEST SIDE"
This was in the days when the cows ruled the streets and disrupted the gardens, somewhere about 1894.
This shows Nels Johnson's residence at the extreme right. Johnnie Dixon's cow is no doubt leading the procession, but not so evident that she can be pointed out.
"CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY BRIDGE"
The picture at the top of the page is of the railroad bridge built by the Princeton & Northwestern Railway Co. when it entered the cities and cross the Wisconsin River in 1901. This view is taken from up river side of the west end of the bridge.
"YELLOW BANKS BELOW NEKOOSA"
The oxide of iron that colors the clay banks at so many places along the Wisconsin River, have attained a local term of "The Yellow Banks", so when this term is used the relater should locate his "banks".
The view at the bottom of the page is taken from the high bank reached by turning sharply to the left when you get to the top of the plank road along the river, south of Nekoosa. By taking the first left hand turn leading west and out of Nekoosa you follow the river in a more or less irregular way until you reach what locally has been known as "Lynn's Hill", but it is a patch of very deep sand road that to help the farmers and other drivers, was planked on the right hand side of the road going up the hill, and the left hand side left in the dirt to help horses hold back their loads coming down the hill. By taking this road for a pleasure drive and turning to the immediate left hand road, it will take you through the woods to this fine spot for a picnic, and the view will reward your efforts.
"WING DAM IN FRONT OF TOM NASH HOME"
This view on the top of the page was taken in 1892 and shows a wing dam that was built by the rivermen way back in the days of running logs down the river to the saw mill. The remains of this wing dam may be seen to-day on the west side down in front of Stanton Mead's residence about 730 First Avenue South. It prevented the logs from running in between this small island and the river bank and being held up on the rocks on its way.
"TOM NASH HOMESTEAD"
The beautiful gate and wall shown in the top picture was designed by Warren Manning, famous landscape artist for Mr. Nash.
Thos. E. Nash bought the original home at what is now 730 First Avenue So. in 1881. This picture on the middle of the page was taken in 1894 from the small island just off shore in front of the home. The setting appealed to the author, so it was taken. The title to this land came down from and entry by Wm. Kline, Oct 6, 1848. Later it was acquired by R. C. Lyon and A. B. Sampson on May 4, A. B. Sampson sold his interest to Lyon April 25, 1850. It passed on down and at one time it was owned by H. H. Hayden in 1878. It was sold by his widow to Clarence Jones and the title from there passed to Ann Roach who sold it to Mr. Nash.
The view at the bottom of the page is looking across the river towards the west bank of the river and the "Tom Nash" new home built by him in 1901. This picture was taken from Belle Isle in 1929.
P. E. O.
Do not ask any mere man what "P. E. O." means, for he can't tell you. His reply will probably be that "Its Pa's Evening Out" but that "aint" the answer.
What ever it means, it stands for a group of kindly disposed women of the country who are assisting worthy young women through schools of various kinds. Now, maybe this is not the real intent but some one who knows better may correct. Anyway the purpose is worthy enough for any one not to be ashamed of it and the only trouble with this explanation is probably that it is not broad enough and these women go even farther than suggested.
They were holding a meeting one beautiful summer day at Mrs. Stanton Mead's and the privilege was granted this operator to take their picture. Any one who ever noticed the gateway at this home at 730 First Avenue South will easily recall this "setting."
Reading from left to right, standing, Mesdames Graves, Hill Sr., Brown, Rosebush, Miss McMillan, Alexander, Jackson, Jasperson, Gruelle, Roberts, Mead, Babcock, seated are: Purves Hougen, Earl Hill, Brazeau, Center; Mead-Stanton, Demitz, Stevens. Picture was taken about 1930.
"GRAND CHILDREN AND OTHERS"
An appropriate position for a picture of this kind is in connection with the one described below of "Webb" and others.
This was a picnic group bringing together the grand and great grand children of Judge Webb. This was taken in 1933 on the bank of the river out west of the Golf Links, just before crossing over the dam at the "South Side" mill. This drive is a favorite short cut drive usable only when water is low so it does not run over the dam, to cut across the river from South Side to the Golf Links.
Reading from left to right are: Mrs. Harold Arpin, formerly Beryle Thompson, Helen Arpin, was Helen Taylor, grand daughter of Webb, Anneta Arpin, daughter of Joseph Arpin, Young Curtis from Berkeley, Calif., Mrs. Beeman, E. P. Arpin's Daughter, Peter Arpin, son of Mrs. Harold Arpin, Lawrence Arpin, son of Mrs. Dan Arpin, Mrs. Tom Taylor, E. P. Arpin, in front is "Bud" Brennan, grand son of Joseph Arpin, Deborah Johnson, daughter of Ray Johnson, Mary Arpin, daughter of Mrs. Harold Arpin and Bill Colburn, a great grand son of Judge Webb.
As Judge Webb was the second attorney to come to Grand Rapids, and other lawyers were very prominent in the affairs of the town and county, it is very convenient to show them here. The picture at the bottom of the page was taken about 1892. Reading from left to right are: Mrs. Webb, Clara Webb, G. D. Jones, small daughter, Mrs. Jones, J. A. Gaynor and daughter Gertrude, Mrs. Gardner, Mrs. Taylor, Bessie Gaynor, Mrs. Gaynor, Judge C. M. Webb and George R. Gardner.
Mr. Jones was a teacher in the public schools and won a real place in school matters here. He was admitted to the bar and later left here and went to Wausau and became a member of the law firm of Hurley, Ryan and Jones. J. A. Gaynor was prominent in the organizing of public ownership of water, light and telephone and co-operative management of anything he was connected with. A lawyer with Mr. Gardner in the firm of Gardner & Gaynor.
Judge Charles Morton Webb, was the second attorney to arrive here. His predecessor was Levi P. Powers. Judge Webb was a lawyer of marked ability and was elected to many political positions. The one he filled best and most greatly enjoyed was that of Circuit Judge of this district. All of these men are dead. Of the women only those alive, so far as this writer knows, are Clara Webb Harvey, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Gardner and the two Gaynor daughters.
The climax that brought about the building of the Swimming Pool was the drowning of boys to such an extent that it stirred the fathers and mothers into action. "Jack" Arpin, was an ardent promoter of this scheme and donated liberally in both time and money to get this place to swim, for young and old, started. The main motive of course was to provide a safe place where children could enjoy the play of swimming. Later it was taken over by the city and so maintained. On May 30, 1922, it was dedicated as Legion Park, and with proper ceremonies a tree was planted to the memory of each soldier who had died in the World War. A cannon was also assigned to this park by the government and it may have seen service abroad, but this is an American made gun.
The picture at the top shows off the cannon and the river at its high state. The lower picture of the swimming pool was taken in 1930, from the roof of the boy's dressing room and looks towards the pool and swimmers. The lack of water below the dam and in the river is in direct contrast with the picture above.
"PETE LOVE COTTAGE, LONG ISLAND"
In this association of "out-door" pictures, this picture of the first cottage built on Long Island deserves a location. It was built in 1912. At the south end of Long Island and easily seen from the road leading north on First Street beyond the Green Bay depot, where it meets the river. The boy in the foreground is Franklin Love and sitting is Lee Love, sons of Peter Love, engineer on the Green Bay Ry. and alderman from the First Ward of this city.
"TOM TAYLOR'S COTTAGE"
The picture at the bottom of the page was the second cottage built on Long Island, just adjoining the land of Peter Love's cottage. This cottage was built in Feb. 1914 and the cement tennis court on the island about 100 feet from the cottage was built in the summer of 1914. It is supposed to be the first all concrete tennis court in the state. It has stood the test and is in almost perfect condition. The picture shows Laurence Arpin in the first boat just after storing his camping equipment preparatory to start back by auto to Berkley, California. The middle figure in the motor boat is Billy Colburn and the last is Jimmie Starks. The Consolidated and Green Bay Bridge are in the distance.
"GRAND RAPIDS FIRE COMPANY OF 1888"
The picture to the left at the top is of the Fire Company that was formed in 1888. The headquarters were at the City hall, that is now the Library. Reading from left are: Hasbrouck on rear of engine, John Henry driving his own team, standing, Dwight Huntington, first in line, Metzger, Castello, also chief of police, George Baker, Wm. Martin, Wm. Raymond, Wm. Scott, Bodette, Ed. Philleo, John Codding, Lutz, Milt Mosher, Dave Kammerer, Bogager, Abel, Gene Miller, M. Martin, Louis Schroeder, Ed Mahoney, Frank Pomainville. I. E. Philleo, T. A. Taylor, Walt Wood, charter members, not present.
The organization meeting was held January 23, 1888. I. E. Philleo was elected president, E. T. Bodette Foreman, T. A. Taylor vice -president, D. Kammeron assistant foreman, D. M. Huntington Secretary. Charter members were: W. L. Wood, William Martin, E. T. Bodette, A. J. Hasbrouck, J. H. Codding, David Kammerer, Eugene Miller, W. M. Martin, Geo. Huntington, Wm. Scott Jr., D. M. Huntington, T. A. Taylor, M. A. Bogager, B. Metzger, J. Lutz Jr. Wm. Kuntz, C. H. Gothie, H. Lubeck, E. Spafford, I. E. Philleo, A. T. Canning, Herman Able, E. B. Brundage, Ed. Mahoney, C. A. Copeland, Frank Stahl, D. B. Philleo, Geo. W. Baker, Lewis Schroeder, H. H. Voss, F. Pomainville, W. B. Raymond, John Henry.
This picture was taken in front of the City Hall, very appropriately set before the hook & ladder truck. This bunch had a lot of fun and did a real service to the city and community. They responded to Jim Cameron's call at Vesper when his whole lumber yard was on fire. They took an engine, flat car and one caboose and loaded at the Milwaukee depot, made a run to Babcock and then up on the Hiles Road to Vesper. The fastest ride any of the company ever had on a freight train. The caboose was playing crack the whip with members all but rolling them around the inside like marbles. Mr. Cameron sent them a check for $100.00.
Fines were levied for failure to drill and absence from fires. The fire tax money of 2% on the premium received by the fire insurance companies was paid to their treasury. This money together with the money made from profit of dances and Fourth of July games, were all added up by the treasurer and divided pro-rata among the members. From the portion would be deducted the fine. The most any one probably ever received was about $60 and ruined more than $100 worth of clothes, but just the same it had a lure that kept the company together for many years.
"POPE-TOLEDO OF A. P. HIRZY"
The picture at the top center is any ones guess as to the vintage of this first two seated auto that was brought to town by Anton P. Hirzy. Probably as near as we can locate it the Mayor said, he remembers as a young fellow, of Hirzy offering to give him a ride from the Library towards the Catholic church. The steering wheel worked on a chain and not a worm-gear and it took a lot of turns to move the front wheels to the right, and then as suddenly, a hurried lot of turns to make it tack about. That one time he thought they would land in the river, and then by some magic they turned and it looked very much as if they would land in Arpin's lawn. This happened in about 1905-06. Kerosene light, radiator under the front, and to negotiate the back seat you had to turn it out and open it up.
George Davis' Oldsmobile was its predecessor and the first car here. In the front seat are Mr. And Mrs. Hirzy and in the rear, Mr. And Mrs. Jacob Lutz. It was probably taken up river, above Biron, where Mr. Hirzy had a cottage. It was one of those cars that you run a half mile and then "get out and get under".
"WITTER HOUSE GROUP"
The picture to the right on the top of the page shows a group of young men at the Witter House. Of this group Walter Wood and I. E. Philleo, lived at home, the rest were boarders of L. Hathaway. This picture is selected to show what these men looked like as many of them were prominent in the early days of the town. Reading from left to right the young men are: C. A. Copeland, of the law firm of Copeland and Vaughn; G. N. Wood was with a Milwaukee real estate concern; L. Hathaway, proprietor and former river pilot; W. H. Lehr, was superintendent of schools; I. E. Philleo was bookkeeper at the First National Bank; Second Row: Herman Voss, druggist; Severe Biron, of the Biron Mills; standing between Voss and Biron is T. A. Lipke, of the firm of Spafford, Cole & Lipke. Bottom row; T. A. Taylor; W. L. Wood, druggist; and C. A. Spencer; of the firm of Mack & Spencer. Taken in 1889.
"PANORAMA OF EAST SIDE IN 1895"
This strip was taken in 1895 from the west side of the river about at the river approach of Washington Street and just opposite the location of the present swimming pool. Reading from left to right are: First sector begins with the Railroad bridge and travels east to the Wipperman Factory, and just the barn of the Lutz Brewery is visible. Second sector, shows at the right the Neeves Flour Mill, Foundry. Third Sector, begins with the Catholic Church and takes in the Pioneer Mill and long dryer and the house on the east of road between Mill Street and Drake St. Fourth Sector, begins with the Arpin residence, takes the Congregational parsonage and church and a bit of the island on which the Consolidated built its dam. Fifth Sector shows the sheriff house under construction, the barn for fire team, Howe School, Court House, the Library, Huntington's store buildings, and the street between the Library and the I O O F Hall of to-day, at that time the Reporter printing office, and in the foreground more of the island that the Consolidated is built upon. Sixth Sector begins with what was known as the Parriseau store, now the Armory, the Closuit saloon, Spafford, Cole & Lipke store and warehouse, top of the Witter house and in the foreground more of the island where now stands the Consolidated office. The set of six negatives have been enlarge to 15 x 22 and matched and mounted on a canvas and all framed with glass, making a complete picture about 90 inches long by 30 inches deep, and is a part of this collection.
The upper left hand picture if that of Hart B. Philleo. Next to John L. Brundage, founder of the Reporter, he is the oldest editor of the newspapers and his career followed that of John Brundage.
The next picture to the right is that of A. L. Fontaine, who with his brother Paul whose picture is shown below, purchased the paper in 1881 from H. B. & I. E. Philleo, and for six years were joint editors of the Reporter. In 1886 Paul sold out to Albert Fontaine leaving him the sole owner and editor. He continued the paper until 1924.
J. N. Brundage again entered the newspaper business in 1873. In 1879 the paper burned. He started again in April of 1880 with his son A. A. Brundage. In 1881 E. B. Rossier and E. B. Brundage conducted the business until 1889 when E. B. Rossier sold his interests to E. B. Brundage who took in his brother A. A. Brundage. In 1890 the new firm of Lueher & Brundage consisting of E. B. Brundage and W. H. Lueher was started. The paper was consolidated with the Centralia Enterprise and Tribune. In Dec. 1895 it became Brundage Bros. consisting of E. B. & J. N. Brundage Jr. It continued under title of the Centralia Enterprise until April 4, 1900. The title "Enterprise" was dropped and it became the "Grand Rapids Tribune". In May 1900, E. B. Brundage, then sole owner, sold to W. A. Drumb and A. B. Sutor, who conducted the paper until March 1st, 1920 when it was purchased by W. F. Huffman, and is to-day the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune.
Mar. 6, 1902, Cooley an Emmons started the Wisconsin Valley Leader, a weekly paper. March 25, 1914 they started the Daily Leader. March 1st, 1920 W. F. Huffman bought both the daily and weekly of the Leader. Both the papers were discontinued.
E. B. Brundage is shown on the 2nd Row from the top to the left. E. B. Rossier 2nd Row between E. B. Brundage and Paul Fontaine.
The Centralia Enterprise was established May 22, 1879 by C. H. Clark. The same year he sold it to Henry Hayden. On Oct. 9, Hayden was killed and his widow continued the paper until Jan. 1, 1880, when it was sold to E. B. Rossier and C. O. Baker. Mr. Baker was with the firm but one year when he sold out to E. B. Rossier. 1888 was the year of the uniting of the Enterprise with the Tribune. Mr. Rossier retired from all newspaper business.
The picture in the third row is that of the first Park Commission. They were appointed by the mayor. Seated are. Mrs. I. P. Witter, 1st President; Mrs. F. Mackinnon; standing left to right are: E. W. Ellis, Ben Hansen, G. M. Hill.
March 17, 1906, the federated clubs federation was organized and Mrs. I. P. Witter was elected the 1st President, followed by Earl M. Peas as chairman of the Civic Committee and later as it's president. They developed the idea of the "City Beautiful". Mrs. Peas deserves great credit for her constructive work during this period. The members accorded great praise to J. Horace McFarland, who in a lecture, greatly inspired the work of the parking. Islands and River Banks were purchased. Warren H. Manning was employed to make the city plan.
The picture at the bottom of the page is of the Ellen Hardy and commented on in the Early History under page 5.
The top picture shows the early days. The east end of the Green Bay bridge and building of the old Lutz Brewery are plainly seen.
The middle picture shows the Green Bay R. R. Bridge and below it the Rablin Dam. This is of particular interest as it shows what a low dam was found necessary to dam the water to the East side in those days. It probably gave no more than a 10 foot head at the mills. To the left of the picture is the old guard lock of the Jackson Mill, used to let out the surplus flood water.
The bottom picture shows a letter mailed by T. A. Taylor to himself, that made the round the world flight in the Graf Zeppelin, from Lakehurst N.J. back to Lakehurst N.J. in August, 1929.
The top picture shows the method of handling logs usual to the "Pineries" in the 1890's and earlier. This load is of unusual interest on account of the number of feet that is scaled. This was taken at the camps on the Eau Pleine River Basin, Marathon County.
The two pictures in the middle of the page are of groups of Canning and Ingraham camps. The picture to the left is of John Canning, son of the operator. He is the right hand figure of the three standing on the stump. He is wearing a watch chain. These pictures are of historical value as logging on a large scale has passed out of this part of the state.
The bottom picture shows a successful hunting party. Reading from left to right are: Julius Gash, A. F. Billmeyer, Alpha Snyder, Henry Sampson Jr., George Snyder, H. A. Sampson, Joe Snyder.
The top picture is of the Boy Scout Camp at Sunset Lake and is the stunt and story hour around the camp fire. A certain number of scouts are detailed, each day, to gather the material and construct a central fire and arrange the program consisting of stunts and stories.
The bottom picture is of Larry J. France and his assistants. He is the 3rd figure from the right in the top row.
The top picture is of the local group of Girl Scouts at Sunset Lake during the summer of 1933.
The lower picture is of the Councilors for that year. Reading from left to right the top row are: Katherine Kinister, Elizabeth Grabin, Mary Allen Daly, Annette Meyer, Miss Rassmassen, Second Row: Jame Grabin, Wilma Miller, Katherine Geoghan. Dorothy Clark, Mrs. Rob DeGuere. First Row: Mary Temple, Marguerite Shipway, Jane Taylor, Kathleen Nason.
"BOY AND GIRL SCOUT ACTIVITIES"
Page 96, 97, 98 all have to do with the activities of the Boy and Girl Scouts Camp at Sunset lake during the summers of 1932 and 1933.
Next Section - Pictures in the Album, Part 4