This chronological compilation is the private property of T.A. Taylor and not to be copied for publication. [handwritten addition] I release any claim on this. T.A. Taylor.
Subjects treated at length in this Vol. are indicated by the page number.
Wisconsin was included in "The Northwest Territory".
Daniel Whitney was born Sept. 13 at Gilsum N.H. Died at Green Bay, Wisconsin Nov. 4, 1862.
Wisconsin came under the Indiana Territory.
Joseph Rolette came to Prairie du Chiene.
John Jacob Astor organized the "American Fur Company" and entered into competition with the Hudson Bay Company. Daniel Whitney was Agent at Detroit, Michigan.
Wisconsin was set off to become a part of Michigan Territory.
Wisconsin consisted of the counties of Michillimac, now in Michigan, and Brown and Crawford
Daniel Whitney settled in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Charlotte Ouisconsin Van Cleve, daughter of an army officer and wife, while on his way with his family to his post at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, was born at Prairie du Chiene, thereby becoming the first white child born in Wisconsin. She died at Minneapolis, April 6, 1922.
Sept. 17, August Grignon received government license to trade with Indian Tribes on Fox, Ouisconsin and Mississippi Rivers.
United State War Department ordered Major Twigg to the portage between Fox and Wisconsin Rivers to establish Fort Winnebago.
Daniel Whitney and his crew passed up the Fox River and crossed over the portage to Wisconsin River and up the Wisconsin River to mouth of Yellow River and set up a small "rig" to cut shingles. This act was protested by Major Twigg.
Ahira B. Sampson left Keeseville, N.Y. on horseback and reached Chicago, then only a hamlet, and proceeded on up to Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Major Twigg dispatched his Lieutenant Jefferson Davis, later of Confederate fame, and detail to remove Daniel Whitney's outfit and confiscate and take all shingles cut and bring to Fort Winnebago. This was done and all materials taken entered into the construction of the Fort buildings.
Daniel Whitney secured a treaty from the Menominee Chiefs to cut timber on the Wisconsin River. This was approved by the War Department.
Daniel Whitney built the first saw mill on Wisconsin River and located it on Govt. Lot 3, Section 10-21-5 Wood County which he named as Whitney Rapids. Page 4.
Ahira B. Sampson was sent from Green Bay to manage the mill.
Steamboat "Frontier", Capt. D.S. Harris, came up Wisconsin River from Prairie du Chiene to Dells where it stopped over night and next day came on up to Point Bausse, just below Whitney Rapids, about one mile.
Portage County created and set off from Brown County. This included the present Wood County. County seat was placed at Town of Winnebago, called Winnebago Portage, now Plover. Indians portaged through to here from Wolf river to reach Wisconsin River.
Menominee Tribes ceded to the United States a strip of land three miles wide on each side of the Wisconsin River and 40 miles long. This covered land from Point Bausse to Big Bull Falls, Wausau.
Grignon & Merrill obtain similar permit to that granted Daniel Whitney and built the first saw mill at "Grignon Rapids" and located about 6 miles down river from Whitney Rapids.
First saw mill built at Port Edwards by Sam Grignon and sold to Whitney & Merrill.
Robert Wakely and wife came from New York by boat down the Ohio river to Cincinnati and then again by boat to Prairie du Chiene and by another boat to Portage and by "keel" boat to Point Bausse. They opened "Wakely Tavern", Point Basse, about 1 mile below present Nekoosa, on the east side, The lower Ferry went across at this point and was the first "current" ferry. Point Bausse or Basse is in center of Sec. 15 between Govt. Lots 7 and 8 about 1 mile South of Whitney Rapids, which is on Lot 2 Sec. 10.
The only road at this time out of this section was an Indian trail from Fort Winnebago-Portage, to Green Bay.
First Catholic mass was said by Rev. Van den Brook, a priest from Green Bay during the summer of this year.
David R. Whitney, nephew of Daniel Whitney died. A. B. Sampson was then placed in full charge of the saw mill at Whitney Rapids.
Nelson Strong secured permit from War Department and joined A. B. Sampson. Sampson withdrew and Robert Bloomer joined Strong and they built the first saw mill at Rapids. Nelson Strong used the first lumber to build the first frame house in County. Some explanation must come here. Sept. 14, 1840 Edward Bloomer entered Gov. lot 8 where the "Rablin" mill was located. Strong may have joined because of his permit to buy timber of the Indians. But it was Bloomer and J. J. Kruikshank that built the first saw mill on Govt. lot 8 and not Strong and Bloomer. Strong does not appear at all in the records of title. I infer from this that his use in the partnership of Stewart and Brown was because of his War Department permit. Bloomer sold his interests to Stewart & Brown. Page 1.
First marriage was that of George Kline Jr. to Mrs. Maria Whitney, widow of David R. Whitney, at Grand Rapids by S.R. Merrill, J.P.
George Neeves and William Roe came to Rapids at this time. Page 10.
Joshua Hathaway completed survey of the lands in the Menominee treaty of 1836 and sent maps and field notes to the War Department at Washington DC.
A. B. Sampson quit as superintendent of the Whitney Mill and moved to Rapids.
Wm. Kline came to Rapids this year.
One authority states that the first lumber raft sawed at Biron mill by Fay & Draper went down the rapids. This is not correct for they did not own it then and the mill probably was not built before 1841 unless mill was built before land was entered.
Oct. 5th Gideon Truesdell, Joshua Draper, Paul Kingston, and Harrison K. Fay entered Lots 5 and 7 Sec. 34-23-6 the land and island where "Biron" Mill was located. Page 8.
Oct. 3, Adams, Hill & Bloomer enter Govt. Lots 1,2,3 being the land between Van Buren Street on south and Hooker street on north, west side, and east of the section line of Section 8, Centralia.
Daniel Whitney enters Govt. Lot 1 Sec. 8-22-6 of 17.46 acres. This is the southerly end of Long Island. Peter Love built the first summer cottage on this Island about 1912. T.A. Taylor built the next cottage on land adjoining Mr. Love's in 1914 and also built what is believed to be the first concrete tennis court at the same place and after 20 years both are in good condition. Page 89.
Daniel Whitney, May 22, entered Govt. Lots 2 and 4 where Consolidated Mill now stands. Daniel Whitney enters part of Hunter Island. This is next largest island and just west of Long Island.
Samuel Merrill sells Port Edwards mill property to John Edwards Sr. Page 5.
Henry A. Sampson was born in a log house east and across the river from Nekoosa about opposite Block 9 where old map shows "ferry". Mr. Sampson resides at 711 8th Street North Wisconsin Rapids.
Rev. J. S. Hurlbut, a Methodist missionary preached the first sermon in the community. Rev. Hurlbut also established the first school, himself the first teacher.
George Baker, father of Geo. W. Baker, was born Nov. 26 in a log house located about where the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune office is at present located. He was the first white child born in city.
David Baker and Francis Biron arrive in Rapids.
George Kline Sr. built the first dam from the west side to an island below Green Bay R.R. bridge.
Jos. B. Hasbrouck opens the first blacksmith shop in Rapids.
E. S. Miner opened a general store and was appointed the first postmaster. L. Kromer also came at this time and opened a store.
January 9 Aaron Adams deeded 1/3 int. to Daniel Whitney of the saw mill first built by J. J. Kruikshank that later became known as Rablin Mill, about on site of swimming pool. Page 1.
Joseph Wood, Jos. L. Cotey, Ira Purdy arrive in Rapids and Reuben C. Lyon in Centralia this year.
Population of Grand Rapids given as 130 men and 17 women.
First known burial place of two graves located at the top of hill at north end of 10th street north. One was a canoeist who died while accompanying Bishop Lavenchey on his way through here up the Wisconsin River to Apostle Island. The Bishop performed the ceremony.
Francis Biron bought the mill at "Biron" from Weston, Heldon and Kingston. Page 8.
I.L. Mosher came to Rapids.
This year date given as first river flood of record by white man.
Jan. 29. John Warner granted charter to build first dam on east side.
Henry Rablin by legislative act built the first dam on east side. Page 92.
First School district, Portage county, known as "The Grand Rapids School Dist. No. 1". The present town of Grand Rapids included the present city.
First residential plat recorded in office of Register of Deeds, Portage County. Nov. 1847 J. J. Kruikshank covered parts of Govt. Lots 7 and 8 Sec. 8 and is also part of First ward below the hill.
Wisconsin admitted as a State in the Union.
A. B. Sampson and Reuben C. Lyon build the first mill at "Hurleytown", today South Side.
Indian title to lands in upper Wisconsin extinguished by treaty. This opened the whole northern section of the state to settlers.
Louis Le May came to Rapids.
Land for first cemetery donated to the Town of Grand Rapids, located on 10th street north by John J. Kuikshank. In 1934 the town, under agreement with the city that all remains be removed to Forest Hill cemetery, deeded this plat to the city to become a public park.
John Werner became postmaster.
Joseph Whitney, river pilot, came to Rapids. (No relation of Daniel Whitney)
Franklin J. Wood was born here Oct. 19th. Died Aug. 17, 1931. Page 10.
First school built in what today is about 630 8th St. No.
William J. Balderston established the first shoe shop and resided in the same house until his death. This house was removed to make room for new Post Office built in 1932. Page 28.
J. J. Kruikshank built the first saw mill on "Rablin" site. Page 1.
June 6, Henry Rablin and Henry Clinton bought Sarah Donelly's interest and later acquired interest of J. J. Kruikshank to the "Rablin mill property" on Dec. 20, of the same year.
Dec. 19, John Warner assigns right to dam granted Jan. 29, 1847 to Rablin & Howe.
Thos. B. Scott came to Rapids. Page 5.
Geo. W. Cate at age of 29 became Judge of the 7th Judicial Circuit here.
Joseph Wood is appointed postmaster. Page 10.
Wagon road opened between Grand Rapids and Necedah.
George Neeves built the steam saw mill located about where Henry Demitz residence is now located, 1340 Third St. South. Page 10.
Lorenzo Hathaway, river pilot, comes to Rapids. Later he became proprietor of the "Witter House" and was a fine landlord.
Henry Clinton deeded his interest to Henry Rablin Oct. 9.
George A. Corriveau comes to Centralia. Page 38.
Joseph Wood builds the Magnolia House and store adjoining. "Magnolia House" was located at 840 Washington Ave, east side. Page 10.
Aug. 16. A. B. Sampson and Reuben C. Lyon enter Lots 1 and 2, Sec. 24-22-5. This is the "Hurleytown" mill site, South Side.
Francis Biron builds a new saw mill at Biron, shown in picture page 8.
L. P. Powers came to Grand Rapids - was the first attorney here.
Wisconsin House built by George Neeves, about opposite Herschlebs bakery, about 210 First St. N.
First Catholic church is built on west side about corner Jackson and North Third Ave., later became G. A. Corriveau homestead.
A. B. Sampson and wife Jane sell their half interest in "Hurleytown" which they entered together to Reuben C. Lyon.
Eusebe Lavigne is appointed postmaster.
James Canning, Moses Blair, Jos. Homier, N. Winkle, John Crystal, Chas. Lemley, come to Rapids and Centralia.
H. W. Jackson comes to Centralia and is the first postmaster. Mr. Jackson built the first store and started a store with Orestes Garrison and R. C. Worthington as partners. It operated only about a year. G. A. Corriveau took the occupancy and Jackson continued in the same store building as postmaster for several years. The Building was located on lot at 128 First Ave. So. between Nash Hardware and "Tribune" office, and torn down to become part of Nash store. Page 39.
Nov. 28, Daniel Whitney acquired the entire interest in Govt. lots 1,2,3,4 Sec. 8.
Dec. 27, Moses M. Strong bought 1/2 interest of Daniel Whitney in Whitney Rapids. Page 4.
Orestes Garrison arrives in Centralia and buys the mill sites of Daniel Whitney of Govt. lots 2,3,4, Sec. 8 on West side. Garrison takes in for partner his brother-in-law S.S. Bensley.
Dr. Patrick Hurley comes to Centralia and is the first physician and built the Collier Residence which is now 111 2nd Ave. So. Other arrivals, O. Dennis, Thos. Burr, Wm. Corcoran, A.M. Atwood, Francis Palmatier, arrives in Centralia, and Grand Rapids.
John Rablin comes to Rapids. By the death of his brother Henry Rablin he is willed his property and came to take charge of the operations. Page 1.
Wood County is set off from Portage county as a separate county with county seat at Grand Rapids.
Aug. 28, John Rablin and Lyman Howe form a partnership. Page 1.
Jesse Edwards organized the First Congregational Church.
Town of Centralia is incorporated.
The first county supervisors are H. W. Jackson and Eusebe LaVigne.
Catholic Church on the west side burns and is rebuilt later on east side. 1140 2nd St. No.
Magnolia Hall, second floor of Magnolia House, becomes the first court house, 840 Washington Ave., East side. Page 10.
Sampson & Lyon sell the "Hurleytown" property to Timothy Hurley and Hugh Burnes.
Robert Farrish comes to Rapids.
Joseph Wood is sent as Assemblyman to Madison representing Wood and Marathon counties. Page 10.
Joseph Wood introduced bill naming "Greenwood" as a new county but his colleagues name the County "Wood" in his honor.
Plat of Wood's addition to Village of Grand Rapids recorded June 4, 1856.
Oct. 1, First warranty deed recorded. Jan. 1, 1857 Mark A. Wells to Mrs. Anna Blake.
Samuel J. Purdy arrives in Rapids. Was the father of Corydon T. Purdy who is now a famous engineer and architect, who was born here.
G. A. Corriveau enters mercantile business and rents the H. W. Jackson store on First Ave. So. where he remained until he built his own store at corner of Third Ave. and Grand where the Mead Witter block is located at 364 West Grand Ave. Page 38.
C. W. Webb arrives. He was the second attorney to come to Rapids. Later he became the Circuit Judge for this Circuit. Page 87.
John Rablin enlarged the saw mill on east side.
J. N. Brundage establishes the "Wood County Reporter".
Rev. L. D. Tracy formally organizes the Methodist Church.
First county officers, Joseph Wood, County judge, L. Kromer, Clerk of Court and Register of Deeds, L.P. Powers, County Clerk and Surveyor, I. L. Mosher, County Treasurer.
Rev. James Stehle becomes the first resident Catholic priest, 1140 2nd St. N.
First Catholic church is built on the east side on present location.
Mail began to arrive daily by stage between New Lisbon and Rapids and so continued until 1872.
Foundation laid for a Methodist College known as "Bronson Institute" located at Koskoin, later named and known as "Point Bluff".
Searles Half-way Tavern on stage route between New Lisbon and Rapids.
Aug. 15, Moses M. Strong buys the balance of Daniel Whitney's interest in Govt. Lots in sections 3 and 10. Page 4.
John Farrish comes this year with his parents. He died here Nov. 25, 1923. He was pilot, logger and lumberman and mill owner, with Daly & Sampson in the Grand Rapids Lumber Co., with camps on Eau Pliene Rivers. Page 73-93.
Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Ry. reached New Lisbon.
Henry W. Jackson appointed first postmaster in Centralia and held the office until 1875. Page 34-39.
Louis Meiner built The Commercial House, 210 First Ave. So. He died and his widow married Alfred Masse. Page 11.
E. B. Rossier came to Centralia. Page 91.
Wood County Reporter appointed as official paper for Wood County proceedings.
L. Kromer appointed postmaster of Grand Rapids.
Population of Grand Rapids now estimated at 800.
Feb. 19, J. N. Brundage in his "Wood County Reporter" suggested a change in the name from Grand Rapids to "Wisconsin Rapids". His desire did not come to be a fact until 1920.
Moses H. Strong organizes the Nekoosa Lumber Co. Nov 25, they built a dam June 25 from the east shore to the island on Govt. lot 3 to 10. High water took it out next spring. and the company later failed. Nothing further was done by Mr. Strong until he sold the property to Frank and George Wood. Page 4.
"Wood County Bank" a private banking house put out an issue of bills. No one recalls who the owners were. Officers named as J. W. Dickinson Pres., W.W. Bolknin, cashier.
John Edwards Sr. takes in his son John Edwards Jr. into the business at Port Edwards. Page 5.
School District bought block 22 of Joseph Wood for school site. It is the present site of "Howe School". Map page 30.
Dr. G. F. Witter, a cousin of J.D. Witter, came to Rapids.
Corydon T. Purdy is born here.
Orestes Garrison sells half interest in the mill properties on west side to H. W. Jackson.
First brewery built by Smith on the location that became later the J. Lutz & Bro. see picture of Lutz Brewery page 32.
Edward Wheelan, river pilot comes to Rapids. Took out the last raft of lumber to leave Grand Rapids in summer of 1888 for John Farrish. Page 4.
T. C. St. Amour came to Rapids and entered as clerk in I. L. Mosher's store. Later he owned a fine store of his own where "Sugar Bowl" is to-day. 170 2nd St. So. Page 25.
J.D. Witter came to Rapids and was admitted to the bar as an attorney.
March 2, Wm. B. Naylor sold Blocks 2 and 3 Naylor's addition to School District No. 1 Centralia, for school purposes.
Rev. J. W. Harris first regular Congregational minister preaches in Magnolia Hall east side and Garrison Hall west side.
Eusebe LaVigne starts a new ferry across Wisconsin River. East end at Herschlebs bakery, 211 First St. No. and west end about where the bridge lands from First Ave. No. across to Consolidated office island.
Nov. 29, Methodist Episcopal church members form a corporation.
John Daly comes to Rapids. Later formed partnership with Henry Sampson and J.D. Witter and do extensive logging and lumbering and become interested with John Farrish in Grand Rapids Lumber Co. west side. Page 72.
Dec. 17, Orestes Garrison sold part of the power lots on the West side to Ira Harris who built the first mill.
School district built small frame school on location on Block 22 of the Howe School of to-day. This was later moved to "fair grounds" where it burned. Map page 30.
Census of Wood County given as 2425.
H. A. Sampson, John Farrish and Henry Rablin and others attended the "Bronson Institute" at Point Bluff.
D. P. Morrill comes to Rapids and buys the tannery built by J. McGrath. This was located at NW corner of Franklin and Third Sts. north. Map page 30.
Centralia High School built where 330 Eighth Ave is today. (Error see 1872)
L. Gross built the first frame store on NW corner of Second Ave. north and 210 Grand Ave. It is now the east end of Mead-Witter Block. For many years occupied by F. Garrison and later by Johnson & Hill Co. as a grocery store.
Hart B. Philleo appointed postmaster of Grand Rapids.
Daniel Whitney died at Green Bay on Nov. 4th.
Congregational Church dedicated. It was bought by the Christian Science organization and is used by them. On 1st St. North.
Lyman Howe (of Howe & Rablin) assigned all his interest to John Rablin.
John Henry came to Rapids and stopped the first night at Wisconsin House. This was located across the street from the Lavigne ferry Landing, opposite Herschleb's bakery 210 North 1st St.
J. N. Brundage enlisted in the Civil war and the "Reporter" passed to J. E. Ingraham with C. M. Webb as editor.
J. E. Ingraham associated with him in the ownership of the Reporter, H. B. Philleo.
Heavy fire destroys Balderston's shoe store and others.
Frank Pomainville comes to Rapids and enters employ of H. Homier.
R. C. Worthington built the "Music Hall" corner 2nd St. So and Oak. Now known as "Gardner Block" occupied by B. Brauer.
First court house built by Howe & Rablin was accepted and bought by the county. It was a two story frame building and located on river bank between Sampson Canning Co. plant of today and river. Picture page 33.
First bridge was built across the Wisconsin River. The location was the same as the bridge of to-day. It was a toll bridge until the county bought it and made it a free bridge in 1873.
R. C. Worthington opened a bank in Music Hall on first floor.
May 14, Orestes Garrison sold the mill site to Reuben C. Lyon who ran it as a shingle and saw mill. Later he sold it to Mack & Spencer. See picture page 2.
Nels Johnson came to Centralia, became part of the Johnson & Hill Co. general merchants. Was president of the newly formed Consolidated Water Power Co. to build a paper mill when he died at Wilmington, Del. Dec. 12, 1902.
Present S.S. Peter & Paul Church built and dedicated June 29, 1873.
Second bad fire Sept 5th. See historical account for details, pages 25-26.
S. Brazeau came to Rapids and opened a barber shop. Died 1903.
March 3rd Orestes Garrison sold mill site and use of 2000 cu. inches of water under a 11 foot head, from the flume, to operate a flour mill. This mill later became known as the "Jackson" mill.
Joseph Wood appointed postmaster.
Fire company house stood approximately where the Eagles Hall is to-day at about 341 First St. No.
Methodist Episcopal church was built in 1863 but dedicated in 1868.
John Rablin built the Rablin House, winter of 1868 and 1869. It occupied the location now of the T. B. Scott Library, 411 Baker St. Rablin House burned June 11, 1880, two days before the memorable flood of the Wisconsin River.
John Rablin bought the "Hurleytown" property through sheriff sale from Timothy Hurly and Robt. Burnes.
John Rablin built the first machine shop, east side. See picture page 1. This later was made into a flour mill and when burned was generally known as "Neeves Mill".
Charter granted to City of Grand Rapids April 6th.
Dr. G. F. Witter is appointed postmaster and held the office until 1885.
"Frenchtown" was changed to be know as "Port Edwards".
Oct. 18, Ira Harris deeded back the power lots on west side to Orestes Garrison.
Third bad fire at what is to-day 210 Third St. North. See page 26 for details.
John Rablin leased the Foundry to J. A. Robb for 10 years.
March 22, Orestes Garrison sold to John Bensley the power on land between the Weller Flour Mill and Lyons Shingle mill.
John Rablin built the pail factory addition to the "Hurleytown" saw mill.
Wisconsin Valley Railroad Co. was chartered and organized. L.P. Powers was the president.
J.D. Witter conducted a private bank under title of "Exchange Bank" at 310 1st St. North.
June 18, First National Bank chartered and opened for business at 310 1st St. No.
Centralia High School (Old Lowell) built at 330 Eighth Ave of to-day.
Green Bay & Western Ry. came to Grand Rapids Nov. 1872.
Roach House was built at about 830 First St. N near corner Drake and First St.
Fourth disastrous fire March 23 at 4 A.M. See page 26 details.
Present Catholic Church, east side, dedicated June 29. 1140 2nd St. N.
First train on the Wisconsin Valley Railroad came into Centralia in June.
George Weller bought the site and 2000 cu. feet of under 11 foot head of water from Orestes Garrison and built the first flour mill. Later became better known as the "Jackson" mill.
Year of financial panic.
John Edwards sold half interest to Thos. B. Scott of mill properties in Port Edwards.
Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church organized. 8th St. No.
March 11, the I O O F Lodge was instituted here.
E. Lableux built the stone store now 169 2nd St. S.
July "Tribune" burned out.
J. N. Brundage started it up again with L.P. Powers as political editor.
September-Grand Rapids bought the first "steamer" fire engine, a Clapp & Jones. Cal Wood, a practical locomotive engineer paid to operate it. A few years afterwards and Dwight M. Huntington was hired to take the job and held it until the steamer went out of use because of water works.
Sept. 17. First Fire Company meeting to organize a local volunteer company.
Feb. 5th. Repairs to the bridge costing $3500 were made by Purdy & Chaney.
Forest Hill Cemetery laid out and platted by F.J. Wood.
Orestes Garrison died at his home in Centralia.
Centralia organized as a city in April.
St. John's Baptist Society organized. See page 112.
St. John Episcopal Church, west side, dedicated Nov. 19th.
John Rablin sold foundry to Patrick & Mahoney formerly a planing mill.
June 24, first celebration by local society of St. John the Baptist.
Saw mill and pail factory of John Rablin closed down and did not again operate at Hurleytown.
July. Robert Farrish organized firm of Robt. Farrish & Bro at 181 2nd St. S.
Howe School completed fall of this year. November. I. M. Stewart first principal.
Sept. 25 Francis X. Biron died. He was operator and owner of the saw mill located at "Biron" of today.
First Fair held Oct. 8, 9, 10, see Map Page 30 for "Wordens Track".
June 11th George Neeves died.
F. Mackinnon & Griffith first hub and spoke factory burned and rebuilt and burned again in 1890.
H. A. Sampson started up a part of the Bensley saw mill in May.
May 21st. "Enterprise" a weekly news paper was founded by C. H. Clark.
Sept. 21st. sold to F. H. Jackson.
September 27, Fred H. Jackson sold it to H. H. Hayden.
October 9th, H. H. Hayden was shot and killed by W. H. Cochran and "Enterprise" continued by Mrs. Hayden.
"Odd Fellows Band" with Riggs as director was organized. Page 112.
Landauer, Hopkins and Friend of Milwaukee acquired all the property of John Rablin.
Henry Mann bought the "Hurleytown" property from Hopkins, Landauer and Friend.
"Reporter" bought by Paul and Albert Fontaine.
E. B. Rossier and C.O. Baker bought the "Enterprise" from Mrs. Hayden. Soon after C.O. Baker sold his interest to E. B. Rossier.
Dr. G. F. Witter began making brick in the clay bed in rear of the Congregational Church on First St. N.
J. Lutz & Bro. bought the Smith brewery. Page 33.
June 12th the Rablin House burned. Page 23.
June 13th, Sunday the greatest flood of any record from the Wisconsin River at this point. See pictures page 18.
"Music Hall" was used for storage of merchandise from the different merchants near by during the flood in June. It burned some months after that and its date is not established but it was probably late in the fall of 1880. It was later the site of the "Gardner Block" built in 1883. Corner of First and Oak Streets, 111 2nd St. S. Page 25.
Dec. 9, Wood County Post G A R No. 22 organized.
E. B. Rossier and E. B. Brundage began joint issue of the "Tribune". Page 91.
H. B. Philleo died Dec. 16. Had been editor of the "Reporter" until 1880. Page 91.
Steam saw mill owned by Geo. Neeves which was operating in Rudolph was sold to P. H. Champein and moved to Merrill. The old saw mill owned by Geo. Neeves was allowed to be dismantled and gradually fell to decay. Located at about 1320 Third St. S. Map page 30.
John Schnabel manager of the I O O F band and E. B. Fritzsinger director. Page 91.
Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Congregation incorporated Feb. 15.
Wisconsin Valley Railway sold to the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Ry. and is still known as the "Valley Road".
January 25th "Roach House" burned and was not rebuilt. Page 23.
Witter House completed and opened to the public Nov. 15th. Page 22.
Welcome Hyde bought all the Rablin Mill sites and started up a pulp mill with six grinders on the site and part of the Rablin Saw mill. Later it passed into hands of Geo. E. Hoskinson father-in-law of F. Mackinnon, and he organized the Pioneer Wood Pulp Co., and was its president and manager.
C.A. Podawiltz remodeled the "foundry and machine" shop of Rablin's and made it into a flour mill. Geo. A. Neeves and W. B. Neeves, brothers, and sons of the pioneer Geo. Neeves, joined with Podawiltz and organized the Grand Rapids Flouring Mill. Later they sold to T. E. Nash who with his brother John operated under title of "Nash Bros" Flouring Mill. Page 1.
Old frame school house formerly on lot next to the Howe School was moved to Fair Grounds and later burned down. Map page 30.
Wood County court house, located on present site, held their first session of county board April 12th. Old court house at about 1241 First St. N. was sold to Rudolph Voight for $400. Later bought by David Lutz and burned. Page 33.
Next Section - Chronological Sketch Part 2