[Part 2, 1883-1924]
Oct. 20, Grand Rapids Pouring Mill Co. organized by C.A. Podawiltz, Geo. A.
Neeves, Wm. B. Neeves and Mary Neeves incorporators. Purpose of manufacturing
flour and feed and general flour and feed business.
Geo. R. Gardner built the brick block now at corner of Oak and First St. N.
111 Second St. S. This was on the grounds of the old "Music Hall". Page
East side Lutheran Church built its first church, a frame one on their
present location on 8th St. N. Page 41.
February. J. B.
Witter joined with W & J. Horton and others in Appleton and organized and built the
"Lincoln Mill" at Appleton This was Mr. Witter's first entry in the paper
July 2nd the first real cyclone of record struck Port Edwards and section
east and into Town of Grand Rapids.
C. M. Webb elected to Judge of the 7th Judicial District which position he
held until his death August 12, 1911. Page 87.
Dixon House dwelling opened for boarders and transients at
360 14. Grand Ave. Page 40.
September N. H. Cochran and L. Ward built the original skating rink (roller)
which later became known as "Daly's Opera House" after John E. Daly
bought it. After it burned Frank Gill bought the location and built his brick
store. Location is 160 2nd St. N. Page 24.
July. C. W. Lemley, member of the council of Centralia was employed to build
the first City Hall. This is now band room for City Band and was moved to the
rear of the present City Hall. West Side. 441 14 Grand Ave. Page
James Gibson, one of but two of the original G A R members living, came to
Centralia. He was appointed chief of police in 1896 and held the position for 21
W.E. Mack and Chas. B. Spencer as "Mack & Spencer" bought the
"Lyon" mill and power, and put in 2 grinders for making wood pulp and
was the first public electric light plant in the city. Page
Ahira B. Sampson, one of the original pioneers who came with Daniel Whitney,
April 24th The old court house then owned by David Lutz burned. See picture
of brewery and court house page 33.
Feb. 12th Articles of incorporation of the Centralia Pulp & Water Power
Company recorded Feb. 16. It was the first company to build a paper mill on
Wisconsin River. Mill property was at South Side, the old Hurleytown site. Page
Oct. 6. The Pioneer Wood Pulp Company incorporated by Caroline
K. Hoskinson, Geo E. Hoskinson, Walter E. Mack, F. Mackinnon, to manufacture
wood pulp and paper and paper articles of merchandise. Page
Albert L. Fontaine bought out his brother Paul Fontaine and became sole owner
of the "Reporter". Page 91.
Feb. 9. Henry Mann sold the "Hurleytown" property to The Centralia
Pulp & Water Power Co. Page 6.
Moses M. Strong sold the "Nekoosa Mill" property on Feb. 21st to
Franklin J. Wood and George N. Wood. Page 4.
Bank of Centralia Building at 222 W. Grand Ave. built by J.D. Witter. Page
The Jackson Milling Co. incorporated by Gilbert J. Jackson, J.D. Witter,
Frank Garrison, Edmond Rossier, Wm. E. Roe, Fred B. Timian and C.C. Rogers. For
purpose of manufacturing flour and feed and a general milling business. Articles
filed March 28. Page 2.
Sept. 26. Scandinavian Moravian church, now known as Trinity Moravian was
organized as a separate church from First Moravian congregation.
Grand Rapids Water Power Company organized with incorporators Caroline K.
Hoskinson, Geo. E. Hoskinson, F. Mackinnon and George L. Williams.
Signed May 23rd and filed June 8th.
For the purpose of buying, selling and improving water powers.
May. T. A. Barnes sold his store building to H. A. Herschleb who with son Jerry
operates a bakery in this location to-date, 211 First St. N. Page
April 3rd. Geo. F. Steele of Appleton and Geo. A. Whiting of Neenah visited
Grand Rapids and took stock in the Centralia Pulp & Water Power Company
with pulp mill at Hurleytown. or now called South Side. G. F. Steele became its
first manager. Page 6.
April 10th Frank Garrison sold out his mercantile store and stock to J.D.
Witter and Geo. M. Hill. Then followed the organization of the firm of Geo. M.
Hill & Co. and soon after absorbed by the N. Johnson Co., and this in turn
formed the Johnson, Hill & Co. Page 39.
J.D. Witter opened the Bank of Centralia with I.E. Philleo the first cashier
at about 222 W. Grand Ave. Page 39
Miss Callie Nason entered the employ of the Centralia Pulp & Water Power
Co. under G. F. Steele manager. She continued with the company until 1905 when
following the death of Frank Garrison, the then manager, she was elected to be
its manager and continued until her resignation because of her ill health in
1920, See picture page 7.
April 11 Bridge was taken out by the ice and high water. See picture on page
June. Edwards Wheelan and Geo. W. Ellison returned from Clinton, Iowa where
they sold part of the fleet of lumber belonging to John Farrish. The balance of
it Henry Rablin took to St. Louis. This was the last fleet of lumber to pass
down and out of Grand Rapids. Page 4.
Daly & Sampson sent another fleet of lumber down Wisconsin River which
started out of Yellow River at same time. See pictures page
Ferries were again in use this year until new bridge was completed.
L. P. Powers, the first attorney to come to Rapids, died Monday Sept. 24.
Nov, 11. Thos. E. Nash and Peter McCamley appointed by joint action of the
cities of Centralia and Grand Rapids to act as commissioners to replace, with a
new bridge on the same location, as the one that "went out". Page
November. Thos. E. Nash bought the "Nekoosa" mill
property of Franklin J. Wood and George N. Wood. Page
Centralia P. W. & P. Co. in their January meeting decided to build a paper
mill. It was the first paper mill on Wisconsin River. Page
February special election on bridge matter. John Farrish and Peter McCamley
represented Grand Rapids and G. A. Corriveau and Thos. E. Nash for Centralia.
Centralia's share set at two-fifths and Rapids at three-fifths of cost of
bridge. Bridge cost $17,400. Page 12.
July 7. Seth Reeves, first mayor of Grand Rapids died. Page
February. Thos. E. Nash receives legislative authority to build a dam on the
Wisconsin River on the site of Nekoosa mill property. This was the beginning of
the mill development of Nekoosa Paper Company. Page
F. J. Wood built Wood Block at 140 East Grand Ave. and moved the old frame
store to north side of Bank at 161 So. Second St. Picture page
March 4 began the building of the bridge
January 20. First Moravian congregation organized.
Russell Lyon organized the Juvenile Band.
Oct. 13th Trinity Moravian Church built at 3rd Ave No. while Rev. C. Madsen
was pastor. 140 3rd Ave. N. Page 50.
Oct. 18-19 the Old "Bensley Paper Mill" burned. They had just
started up and proposed to make paper of straw.
May 7th. "Unity Church of City of Centralia" organized and articles
filed April 11, 1890 at 241 Fourth Ave. S. Incorporators were N. Gerard, T.J.
Cooper, E.B. Rossier and G.J. Jackson. It was a "union' of the Methodist
and Congregational congregations. Page 41.
May 24 at 7 P.M. Bridge was completed and opened to public. Page
June 24 of this year was the last public celebration of the order of
"St. John, the Baptist". This order was established here many years
ago, 1875, the exact date is not obtainable, and in the early life of the
community the "day" was greater factor than the Fourth of July. Page
Winter of 1888-9 was one of "the deep snow" with a hard crust that
would hold up a team of horses. Great deal of the wild life perished. In town we
walked on the crust over the tops of fences and coasted down from the hill in
front of Henry Dernitz' residence far onto the river. 1340 3rd. St. S.
First Farmers Institute ever held in Wood County called at the Courthouse
March 24, with A. S. Robinson as president.
Dr. O. T. Hougen located in Rapids.
August of this year "The Gardner Rifles" was organized with the
first commander A. B. Crawford, a dentist, W. H. Carey. Treasurer and B.M. Vaughan
Oct. 16, William Waterman died. He was the oldest man then supposed to be in
the United States. He was born January first, 1776 was therefore 113 years, nine
months and 16 days of age. He died at Junction City, Wis. but was a resident of
Grand Rapids for most part of his life. He lived south of the Lincoln School and
across the railroad track. He was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery this city.
Dec. 15. First Moravian congregation built church at 3rd Ave. N.
now occupied by Trinity Moravian congregation 140 Third Ave. N. Page
Nov. 9th. The anniversary celebration of 100 years of the founding of this
first diocese of the Catholic Church in United States, Baltimore, Md. Put in
here to bring to attention the youth of this Nation.
January 29, first organization meeting of the directors of the Port Edwards,
Centralia & Northern Ry. Thos. E. Nash president, John Edwards, treasurer
and F. J. Wood Secretary. Other stockholders John Arpin, J.D. Witter, G. J.
February 2nd Dedication of the "Union Church" west side. This is
now the Masonic Temple. See pictures pages 41 and
January 17, F. Mackinnon Factory burned. Page
F. Mackinnon Manufacturing Co. organized with twenty-five signatures
including business men and workmen of the mill was rebuilt. Page
John Edwards Manufacturing Company organized following the dissolution of the
firm of John Edwards & Co. Page 5.
Feb. 5th Joseph Wood died. Page 10.
January 20th. "Arpin" building just east of the old First National
Bank building burned, about 330 First St. No. Page
Sherry-Cameron Company organized by Henry Sherry, J.W. Cameron, G.F.
Kellogg. W.D. Paddock as incorporators and stockholders. Saw mill and lumber
operation located at
Grant White organized the "Twin City" band.
Trinity Moravian built parsonage next to the church on 3rd Ave. N.
First paper machine installed at the "Southside" mill by the
Centralia P & W P Co. The first paper machine on Wisconsin River. The second
machine was installed the next year. Page 6.
June 20, G.F. Steele resigned as manager of the Centralia P & WP Co and
was succeeded by Frank Garrison. Page 6.
Feb. 16th Grand Rapids Table Co. organized with F. J. Wood, S. A. Spafford,
Geo. N. Wood, Chas. Briere, John Farrish and Chas. Wipperman, incorporators. To
manufacture furniture and articles of wood. This is the beginning of the factory
built that burned in 1934 while occupied as clothing factory. Located on north
side of Green Bay Ry track. See picture page
June 8th The John Arpin Lumber Co. incorporated by John Arpin, D. J. Arpin, E.
P. Arpin and Ella Arpin, to buy and sell real estate and manufacture lumber.
This was the beginning of lumbering operations by the Arpin Company at Arpin,
Oberbeck Bros. Manufacturing Co. incorporated by J.D. Witter, John Daly,
Ernest Oberbeck, Fred C. Oberbeck, and H. A. Sampson, to manufacture furniture
and buy and sell timber and timber land. This was the beginning of the "Oberbeck"
plant on west side now occupied and owned by the Ahdawagam Paper Products
Company. See picture page 72.
Wood County National Bank incorporated by F. J. Wood, Frank Garrison, Thos. E.
Nash and others. This was the beginning of the Wood County National Bank, first
located at corner of First St. and Grand Ave. across the street from the present
Bank Block. Page 26.
John Edwards, while a member of the State Assembly at Madison, died February
23rd. Page 5.
J. Lutz & Bro. brewery burned July 23. It was located between the Sampson
Canning Co.'s. present location and the Green Bay bridge about two blocks up
river. See picture page 33.
"Neeves" Flour mill sold to Nash Brothers. See picture page
Wm. Kline, one of the first of the old pioneers, died here.
April 25th. Farmers Mutual Fire Ins. Co. organized.
City Hall, now Public Library, was begun by F.J. Wood as Mayor of Grand
Rapids, and completed the next year. Located at 411 Baker St. See picture page
Johnson & Hill Co. built the brick store building at about 240 N. Grand Ave.
incorporated into the New Mead-Witter Block about the center. Page
D.M. Huntington built his brick store opposite from City Hall and the lots
later became a part of the Court House grounds. Page
Methodist Episcopal church built on its present location at 331 Oak St. The
old church was moved and is now Legion Hall. Page
Centralia Hardware Company incorporated by L. M. Nash, Nels Johnson, J.D.
Witter, W. T. Jones, G. M. Hill, W.W. Mead. Purpose of general retail hardware
business. Page 34.
The Grand Rapids Pulp & Paper Company incorporated Dec. 14 and recorded
Feb. 17. J.D. Witter, G.S. Biron, J. W. Cameron Daly & Sampson and E. T. Harmon,
incorporators. Purpose of manufacturing pulp and paper, improving water power.
buying and selling real estate and personal property. They tore down the old saw
mill. The purchased the "Biron mill" property and later built a paper
mill. See pictures page 8.
January 14, The Nekoosa Paper Company incorporated by Thos. E. Nash, Frank
Garrison, and L. M. Alexander for the purpose of buying and selling real estate
and manufacturing pulp and paper. Thos. E. Nash sold the Nekoosa site that he
bought from F.J. and G. N. Wood. This was the original Whitney Rapids on which
Daniel Whitney built the first saw mill in 1834. The dam on the east end lands
on Govt. Lot 3 and the mill is built on Govt. lot 5. West side of river on Sec.
10. Page 4.
Sept. 13 The Twin City Brewing Company incorporated by Jacob Lutz Jr., F.
Pomainville, W. Froedtest Charles J. Kiewart, August F. Backhaus and Theodore
Knaps, for the purpose of Manufacturing beer and carrying on a general brewing business. The built the
brewery at the "Eddy" and it burned in 1895. Page
Nov. 1st Nekoosa as a Village was incorporated.
November. Stone wall on the river side opposite the City
Hall, now Library, built by T.A. Taylor as mayor of Grand Rapids in 1893. This
was to guard against future washouts by high water similar to flood of 1880.
The Consolidated Water Power Company incorporated, July 28 by T. E. Nash, J. L. Nash, B.C. Chandos, C.A. Spencer, F. Mackinnon and Geo. E.
Hoskinson. Purpose to buy and improve water powers on Wisconsin River and
renting and sale of all such mill, machinery, fixtures and tools as may be
acquired in the purchase of lands and water powers.
Old Store Page 25, moved to 161 Second St. S.
The Centralia Water Works Co. was incorporated by F. Mackinnon, J. L. Nash and
G. M. Hill. Page 81.
John E. Daly opened drug store in (just completed) Wood Block. 130 F. Grand Ave. Christmas
First Moravian Church incorporated.
Census gave the population for Grand Rapids at 1702 and Centralia 1435.
August 3rd. Grand Rapids Table Company incorporated by A. K. Hatteberg,
Charles Wipperman, F. J. Wood, D.J. Arpin and Herman Wipperman. Purpose to
manufacture all kinds of furniture and other wood articles. Page
County built Sheriff House and jail opposite Court House at 431 Baker St. Page
May 14. Wood County Telephone Co. incorporated by J. A. Gaynor, E. P. Arpin, H.
H. Voss, S.A. Spafford, E. T. Harmon, Geo. L. Williams, F. J. Wood, John Farrish,
N. Johnson, F. Mackinnon, Chas. Briere, E. Oberbeck, Corriveau & Garrison,
J.D. Witter, L. M. Nash, G. J. Jackson. For the purpose of furnishing telephone
service to the public. This is the original organization of the present
telephone company. Most generally conceded as a pet scheme of J. A. Gaynor who
was given to organization of publicly or municipally owned utilities. Page
The Lyon & Smart Mfg. Co. was incorporated by Theron Lyon, S. H. Smart,
Peter Hostvit, Dec. 30 for purpose of manufacturing and dealing in pine and
January 2nd. The Grand Rapids Foundry Co. incorporated by Benj. W. King,
Julius King and Edmund Roenius for purpose of general foundry and machine shop
business. Later became associated by E. Roenius with the American Carbonic
Machinery Co. Page 1.
Aug. 13. The J.D. Witter Free Traveling Library Association was formed by the
members of the T.B. Scott Library association to establish and maintain a free
traveling library and administer the funds endowed by J.D. Witter for such
John Edwards Mfg. Co. began the building of their pulp and paper mill at Port
Edwards. See Pictures page 5.
John E. Daly built his brick store building at present number 112 South
Second St. Page 25.
Sept. 26, Scandinavian Moravian Church, west side organized see
"churches" and picture page 50. First Moravian church building erected
at 310 First Ave. S. Page 25.
Fair Ground deeded to the City Feb. 23rd, and became the Lincoln School and
Athletic field later. See historical account with Lincoln School.
June 17. "Neeves Flour" mill burned. See picture page 1. This was located near the
Rablins mills and would be about where the swimming pool is to-day or little
"Bensley" mill burned on west side. This was the old saw mill
property originally owned by Orestes Garrison. Page
Sept. 26. G. Severe Biron died. He with his sister Laura Biron owned the
Biron Mill property and they sold it to the Grand Rapids Pulp and Paper Co. and
took stock in Company. Severe Biron was assistant manager. See page
West Side Lutheran Church dedicated January 7th. Located at 9th Ave. and
McKinley St. Page 50.
January 2nd. Consolidation of the two cities of Centralia and Grand Rapids
under the name of Grand Rapids. In 1920 the name was changed to Wisconsin
Rapids. Population of
Centralia 2203. Grand Rapids 2286.
"Centralia Enterprise" and "Tribune" consolidated and
took name of Grand Rapids Tribune. E. B. Rossier and E. B. Brundage, editors. Page
Grand Rapids Lumber Co. built camps on the Eau Pliene. See pictures of teams
and loads of logs, page 73-93.
Badger Box & Lumber Co. incorporated by John S. Thompson, John Daly, E. J.
Daly June 7th to manufacture box shooks, boxes and lumber.
Princeton & Northwestern Railway, now Chicago & Northwestern, built
into Grand Rapids. Page 84.
St. Paul Lutheran parsonage built, west side at 251 9th Ave. N.
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks founded Lodge No. 693. Page
Consolidated Water Power Company acquired by J.D. Witter and Nels Johnson.
Nov. 10 Consolidated Water Power Co, by amendment, name was changed to
Consolidated Water Power & Paper Co. N. Johnson, Pres. Geo. W. Mead Sec.
George W. Mead became Vice president of the "Consolidated" after the death of
Nels Johnson on Dec. 12. F. Mackinnon was elected president.
Dec. 12. Nels Johnson, then president of the "Consolidated" died
suddenly at Wilmington, Del. while on a trip to buy machinery for the new paper
mill the "Consolidated".
Wood County Normal opened school in Sept this year with M.H. Jackson first
superintendent. Page 51.
March 22nd J.D. Witter died.
Congregational Society bought parsonage out on West Grand Avenue.
E. A. Lambert reorganized the City Band and was leader until 1905. Page
Christian Science organization bought the old Congregational Church, east
side and in 1915 remodeled it as it is to-day. Page
Stand pipe at Lincoln School grounds erected in April. Height 176 feet cost
Consolidated began building its dam and paper and pulp mills on the present location on west side. See pictures
Grand Rapids Milling Company built its "new" brick flour mill at
corner of Third Ave. N and Franklin St. Later became beater room for old papers
as an addition to the "Consolidated". Page
The name was changed by reorganization to Jackson Milling Co.
June 15. First meeting of First Baptist Church Services.
Nixon House partly destroyed by fire and was at once rebuilt and enlarged as
it appears to-date at 360 West Grand Ave. Page
"Lincoln School" began in 1902 completed this year at cost of
$55,000. It was torn down in 1931 after New Lincoln was built. Pages
Grand Rapids Brewing Company organized April 12th. Jacob Lutz, Frank
Boyanowski and Geo. Werkein Jr. to do a general brewery business. This plant was
sold when it went bankrupt soon after prohibition went into effect and was
bought in 1926 by Sampson Canning Co. Page 75.
First Moravian congregation purchased residence of B. R. Goggins at 330 First
Ave. So. for parsonage.
St. Lawrence Catholic church and school dedicated west side. See picture page
Christian Science Church organized.
First Labor Union chartered granting the Carpenters and Joiners a charter
Julien Hotel diagonally across street from Dixon built at 411 West Grand Ave.
Hospital opened in Feb. in the building now occupied as part of the hospital
on the south end. Page 31.
F. J. Wood built 3 story Brick Block adj. Wood Block 132 E. Grand. [added in
Frank Bliss became director of the "Twin City Band" which position he
held until 1910. Page 91.
First Baptist church built facing the river on east side. Page
December. Frank Garrison died. He managed the combined mills of the Nekoosa
and Edwards Paper Co. Page 6.
American Carbonic Co. with the Grand Rapids Foundry Co. built their new shops
on west side. American Carbonic was incorporated in 1907. Page
Congregational Church Congregation bought the "Saul Preston"
residence for parsonage at number 360 First Ave. S.
Kaudy Manufacturing Co. incorporated by G. J. Kaudy, E. P. Arpin and F. J. Wood
May 8th, to manufacture saloon and bar furniture and interior finish. Page
March 16. Wisconsin Rapids Federation of Women’s Clubs organized and their
first president was Mrs. I. P. Witter.
Port Edwards Fibre Company incorporated by Thos. E. Nash, James B. Nash and L.
M. Alexander, to manufacture sulphite fibre and ground wood pulp.
Witter Manual Training School built, made possible by the gift of $50,000 by
J.D. Witter to the Board of Education. Page 15.
July 1. Rev. Fr. Wm. Reding came to S.S. Peter & Paul congregation. Page
Wood County Normal School built a brick school just south of the Witter
Training school grounds. Page 51.
Sept. 15-16 Golden Jubilee celebration of S.S. Peter & Paul congregation.
First National Bank built Bank Building at 130 First St. N. known as the
"Flatiron". Page 24.
Seventh Day Adventist built their church at corner of 11th and Oak which the
later sold to the Lutheran Church congregation for a school in 1922. Page
J. E. Daly built his brick store at 112 Second St. S. Page
July 7th the Stange Ellis Lumber Co. incorporated by E.W. Ellis, Guy O.
Babcock and F. J. Wood to manufacture lumber and boxes. Later this was changed to
E.W. Ellis Lumber Co. and this company ceased and dissolved Sept. 5, 1925 and
moved the plant
to Eagle River, Wisconsin. This was the former location of the Grand Rapids
Lumber Co. Page 73.
St. Lawrence Catholic Congregation built their parsonage near the school on
the west side. Page 49.
Evangelical Lutheran Zion Congregation organized by Martin Hanse, Chas. Lundgre, and others. See churches on west side.
See picture page 50.
June 15. Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. organized by Thos. E. Nash, G. F. Steele
and L. M. Alexander to transact a general manufacturing business of paper and
wood products. This corporation absorbed the mills of the Nekoosa Paper Company
and the John Edwards Mfg. Co. and water power at Southside.
Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church was built at 150 8th St. N. Page
Crooked Rift Rod & Reel Club organized by many local fisherman and
outdoor men August 27. The purpose was for lawful amusements, fishing, boating
etc. Located first on a camp site about four miles above Biron. Later they built
a club house on this location. It is still being used.
Grand Rapids Lumber Company sold to the Stange Ellis Lbr. Co. Page
Adhawagam Chapter of D.A.R. authorized and organized Apr. 17. Chartered Oct.
Feb. 11. Grand Rapids Street Railway company incorporated by local citizens
with L.M. Nash prominent in its organization.
"Lyons Park" purchased
by the city and opened to the public. Page 82.
January first. Street cars began regular operation for first time.
Joe Merrill became director of the Band. Poor health forced him to resign
before the end of year of service.
Population of the city 6521.
Women’s Clubs of the city were successful in getting the park board to buy
and clear off the business buildings on the river bank on the west side and
south of the end of bridge. See picture before parking page
Boy Scouts first organized here at this time. Pages 94-98 inc.
West side Lutheran Congregation built their school at 9th Ave. and McKinley
St. Page 51.
First Congregational Church Congregation built their new
stone church facing the River at corner of First St. and Biron St. Page
Wood County National Bank built its present stone bank
building on Grand Ave. and Second St. S. Page
Thos. E. Nash retired from all active management of the Nekoosa Edwards Paper
Co. Ill health being the reason.
Gottschalk & Anderson built the store building at 410 W. Grand Ave. Page
Masonic Order bought the "Union Church" building and remodeled it
into a Hall for the order. Located at 241 Fourth Ave. S. Page
Moccasin Creek dance pavilion built by the Street Railway So. at Moccasin
Creek. See picture of Creek page 103.
Dec. 23. Riverview Hospital Association organized to purchase, build and
equip and maintain a hospital. Page 31.
"Consolidated" acquired the "Biron" pulp and paper mill
owned by the Grand Rapids Pulp & Paper Company. Page
Johnson & Hill Co. built and opened their "new
Store" at present location on corner of Third Ave. and Grand
Ave. See pictures page 38.
June 7th American Carbonic Machinery Co. changed its name to Wisconsin Ice
Forest Hill Cemetery Association was formed. Original subscribers were six
women and four men.
Centralia Pulp & Water Power Co. paper mill burned and was not rebuilt
but rebuilt as a power plant. Page 6.
Oberbeck Bros. Mfg. Co. changed hands and name to Adahwagam Furniture Company
Year of the World War.
St. Lawrence Catholic Church west side burned.
Elks Club of Grand Rapids incorporated June 18 by C.A. Normington, Otto R.
Roenius, I.P. Witter, W. J. Conway at 240 Second St. S.
Elks Club Built and dedicated. 1915 Page 29.
First Congregational Church of the City of Grand Rapids incorporated by Geo.
M. Hill, F. J. Natwick, J. W. Natwick and Mrs. J. W. Natwick for educational and
Mar. 25, the first issue of the "Daily Leader". J. F.
editor and owner.
January 2nd. City bought the privately owned Electric Light Co. and have
operated since as a municipally owned utility.
Riverview Hospital built their brick hospital building. Page
Elks Club opened Feb. 11 and dedicated April 17 and became the permanent home
of the B.P.O.E. Lodge 693 at 240 Second St. S. Page
E.A. Lambert again leader and director of the City band and has continued
to-date. Page 91.
Nekoosa Bridge was built. See picture before bridge showing ferry on page
"Consolidated" bought the "Interlake" mill properties at
Appleton. See picture on page 56.
Mott & Wood Co. incorporated by G. E. Blodgett, W. L. Wood and R.J. Mott to
manufacture butter, cheese and handle dairy products. 160 First Ave. S. in Dec
1922 changed to Wisconsin Valley Creamery Co. January 22, 1926 the Wisconsin
Valley Dairy Products organized by George W. Mead, E. B. Redford and Paul A.
Pratt to manufacture dairy products. These all occupied the same as present
quarters. Aug 1, 1931 again changed to Wisconsin Valley Creamery Co. with
incorporator as Paul A. Pratt, Theo. W. Brazeau and W. J. Taylor. Page
Wood County Telephone Company built their office building at 230 Second St.
S. adjoining the Elks Club. Page 29.
Dec. 15. Thos. E. Nash original builder and manager of the Nekoosa Paper
Company died at his home 730 First Ave. S.
Citizens National Bank built their new bank building at 233 W. Grand Ave. See
picture page 35.
This year began the enlistment of men in the World War.
City Hall, west side was built. Page 57.
Wood County Grocery company,, merchants owned cooperative was
organized with C.F. Kruger the first president and manager and is to-date. 211
Nov. 29 Oneida Power Co. incorporated by G. L. Giddings, D. R. Mead, G.W. Mead
manufacture Paper, waxing and coated paper.
Greatest activity in Red Cross in this year.
Southern Division of Wood County was given use of the entire Elks Club for
their work, and it was used to its limit.
Ahdawagam Furniture Go. changed to Ahdawagam Paper Products Co. June 27.
City Fire Department needed home and built this year at 350 First St. N. Page
Nov. 11 Armistice Day of the World War.
Badger Box & Lumber Co. burned and was not rebuilt at Chase St. and C. M.
St. P right of way.
First National Bank's new building built at corner of Third and Grand Aves.
July 9th. Post No. 9 Wisconsin Division of American Legion named after
Charles Hagerstrom Corporal in the World War and first man killed in action in
France, from here.
July 9. Central Labor Union here secured its charter.
"Consolidated" bought the Mackinnon block at the west end and north side
of bridge. This was torn down in 1925. Page 34.
Local charter of the Rotary Club organized.
W.F. Huffman bought out the "Valley Leader" and
consolidated it with the "Tribune" and discontinued the Leader.
Oct. 21 Prentiss Wabers Stove Co. organized to carry on gasoline business,
formerly under name of Prentiss Wabers Mfg. Co. and now dissolved. Page
Evangelical Lutheran Church built their new church at North 8th St. just
north of Oak St. at 150 North 8th St. See picture page
Drum & Sutor sold the "Tribune" to W.F. Huffman. The
paper reappears under the title of "Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune"
with W.F. Huffman as editor. Page 11.
Oneida Power Co., by amendment, changed its name to Consolidated Water Power
Co, and from manufacturing to a utility Co.
Riverview Hospital Association bought the R. M. Rogers frame residence and
moved it down to the hospital for "Nurses Home". See picture page
St. John Evangelical Church built their new church on North 4th St. just off
Oak. Page 46.
Seventh Day Adventist sold their church on Oak and 10th to the Lutheran
Church Congregation for school. See picture page
Daly Opera house burned Jan 14, 1921 [added in pencil]
Battery F. of the 120 Field Artillery located here, recognized April 18th.
Tourist Camp opened on west side on river near South Side.
Oct. 18 "Grand Avenue" bridge dedicated with ceremony. Page
Apr. 27, John Farrish died at the age of 75 years.
Post office receipts for
Bulls Eye Country Club organized in Summer. Formal opening Aug. 26. Page
The scenic drive along river between Port Edwards and Nekoosa was built. Page
July 1st Wisconsin Rapids post office was awarded "first class
Vine Street changed to East Grand Avenue July 23rd. Page
Loan Association started with D.D. Conway president and Ralph Wagers secretary.
Common Council approved by resolution and endorsed its purposes and activities.
S.S. Peter & Paul school completed. First school built in 1895 remodeled in
New Lowell School contracts awarded March 27 to A. J. Billmeyer as general
contractor at $75,00. Lewis-Eron plumbing $9,040, Electrical contract J. A. Staub
$3,775, Johnson service $2,170. Located 330 8th Ave. S. Page
Street Car line crossed the bridge to east side and stopped at Wood County
Bank corner. Page 79
Grand Rapids Brewing Company in hands of receiver and bought by Sampson
Canning Company. See picture page 74.
April 14. Julius Winden elected superintendent of the public schools
succeeding E.G. Doudna who resigned to become secretary of the Wisconsin
The Daly Music Company (Mrs. F.P. Daly and Sons) built their fine brick block
at 351 West Grand Avenue.
I.E. Wilcox built his fine block at 341 W. Grand Avenue adjoining Daly Music
Post Office receipts for year $42,756.88.
Battery Business Association buys the "Amusement Hall" at First St.
N. Page 20.
July "Mead-Witter" block begun. Built by George W. Mead and Isaac P.
Witter. 300 to 364 W. Grand Ave. Block extends from 2nd to 3rd avenue on north
side of Grand Avenue. See old and new pictures pages
J. E. Daly, G. O. Babcock and F. W. Kruger build the new store and flat building
between 112 and 132 Second St. South East side. See picture page
Abel & Mullen build new store on 134-6 Second St. south adjoining the
Babcock and Kruger block. Page 29.
Joseph A. Cohen, former mayor and president of Citizens National bank died.
Eagles Lodge buy the "Spafford Building", 341 1st St. N. for lodge
Two monument drinking fountains given to the city by Joseph A. Cohen several
months previous to his death were set in place April 4th. One in front of the
Library and the other in the park entrance at west end of bridge on south side.
State Trunk Highway 13 was the longest state highway at that date in the
state of Wisconsin. It began at Beloit and passed through Janesville, Madison,
Adams, Wisconsin Rapids. Marshfield and on to Superior.
Nash Hardware Co. L. M. Nash president built the new store at S.E. corner
First and Grand Avenue west, removing the old frame store to the south between
"Tribune" office and the store. This old store was the first store
built in Centralia and by H. W. Jackson and for many years was the post office of
west side, with Mr. Jackson as the first postmaster. After the first year
that Jackson, Garrison and Worthington started their store, they quit
and it was occupied for a number of years by G. A. Corriveau, until he
built his store in 1879 at the point where Mead-Witter block gives space to
Woolworth Store. Pages 34-35.
January 2lst reported 35 degrees below zero as the coldest in 20 years.
Maximum temperature at 2:30 was 15 below zero.
Post office receipts for the past year $45,842.39.
Old Lowell School sold and
torn down. Page 54.
Reiland Packing Co. plant taken over by E. Coon Company and since that time
has been used as a cheese storage and curing plant. See picture page
Chanter of Commerce start the initial movement toward making a municipal park
and Athletic field of the "old fair grounds" adjoining the
Lincoln School-Witter and County Normal yards.
Dec. 4. John Liska, a graduate of the Wood County Agricultural School won a
$4000 prize for best composition on roads. The prize was in the form of a four
year scholarship fully paid at any University in the United States. This
scholarship prize was given by Harvey S. Firestone, Ohio Rubber Tire
Dec. 24. S.S. Peter & Paul school nearly destroyed by fire. 1140 2nd St.
Dec. 31. E.W. Ellis Lumber Company, formerly Stange-Ellis Lbr. Company closed
down their plant after continuous operation of 17 years. Plant and machinery
were moved to Eagle River Wis. Page 73.
Dec. 20. Jackson Milling Company dissolved.
Next Section - Chronological Sketch Part 3