Literacy & Education
- KidsHealth for Parents Information on children's health and development.
- PBS Parents Get information on child development, raising boys, raising girls, getting ready for school and find PBS KIDS games.
- Parenting Counts Offers loads of products and information for parents, grouped for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. The resources teach parents how children think, feel and learn, allowing them to help their children grow in healthy ways.
- Zero to Three Is a national nonprofit organization that informs, trains and supports professionals, policymakers and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers.
- Adolescent Literacy has resources for parents and educators of kids in grades 4-12 to build background knowledge and reading comprehension. This site offers classroom strategies, book and author recommendations, blogs, newsletters, research and reports as well as a Spanish link.
- Birth to Six offers book lists and early literacy information for parents/caregivers/teachers of young children. From the Hennepin County Library System.
- CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center of UW-Madison) helps librarians, teachers, child care providers and others navigate the abundance of choices to locate the best books possible to meet their needs.
- Common Sense Media provides information about the content of movies, books, and other media so parents can make informed decisions on what is appropiate for their family.
- Early Learning Parent Handouts from Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Hoagie's Gifted Education Page has informational resources on gifted children and adults for parents, teachers, administrators, and mental health professionals.
- Teacher's Top 100 Books for Children from the National Education Association.
- Reading is Fundamental offers information about literacy, reading aloud suggestions, and more for children birth through teen.
- Getting Boys to Read offers information and support through articles, videos, interviews, and our forum to parents, educators, and librarians on how to create guy readers.
- Reading Aloud to Children
- Literacy Connections Reading Aloud
- Fox, Mem. Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever. Harcourt, 2001.
- Russell, William F. Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children. Crown, 1984.
- Trelease, Jim. The Read-Aloud Handbook. 6th Edition. Penguin, 2006.
- A Parents' Guide to the Internet A wonderful starting point for parents and teachers who want to help kids use the Internet safely .
- SafeKids.com Larry Magid, a syndicated columnist for the Los Angeles Times, gives tips for becoming street smart on the Web.
- Safety Tips for Kids on the Internet from the Federal Bureau of Investigation Site focuses on online safety and ways to report abuses.
The library has a Parenting Collection by the children's magazines. Topics include baby sign language, potty training, Love and Logic parenting, childhood and adolescent development, discipline, Internet safety, health and fitness, reading and math skills development, and playtime activities.
- Oregon Public Library School and Group Services
- Wisconsin Parent’s Association
- A to Z Home’s Cool Homeschooling
- About.com Homeschool
- HOME Madison Area Unschooling Group Conference Site
- The Homeschool Diner
- Life Learning Online Magazine